View Full Version : Wire Wrapped Handle

KnifeWife
03-15-2001, 07:21 PM
Making some wire wrapped handles out of Brass. After I twist the wire, it gets very springy. To Anneal, I coil it and heat it with a torch. I am getting a very good anneal, but how do I clean the discoloration from the wire? Thank's, Fred
jyblood@nwi.net

Geno
03-15-2001, 07:47 PM
The color will buff off later.Tightly wrap it,then I use epoxy and push it down into the handle for a base,wipe it clean.Let it cure then buff it.It gives a dark background behind the wire and a base to keep it from unraveling if the wire breaks later on.It also keeps everything secure and in place.
The color will come back before you finish with it,O.K?
Let us know how it goes.

Fred
03-16-2001, 09:19 AM
So, after I wrap the wire and soldering on the ferrules, I should mix up and tint some dark epoxy, and press it in from the top over the wire. Then, I should wipe the excess off. I assume a solvent would be needed when wiping. Acetone? Thank's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

Geno
03-18-2001, 11:48 PM
Yes,you can tint the epoxy with tempura (powdered) paint, and push it in from the outside. Start at one end and work towards the other. A rag will wipe off 99% of the excess. When you buff that baby,you'll be proud!
Be sure to let us know how it goes,O.K? Be blessed!

Geno
05-22-2001, 08:56 AM
Hey Fred,
Did you do the wire wrapped handle yet?
We want to see........

Fred
05-23-2001, 02:20 PM
Well,
I will have to get it back from the customer and take a picture. He is just across town, I will see if I can stop by this weekend, shoot a picture and post.

Geno
05-24-2001, 12:27 AM
Thanks, I'd love to see how it turned out.

Bob Rosenfeld
08-07-2001, 07:42 PM
You can also try Srarex II to remove scale fromsilver, brass, etc.