View Full Version : Which wood sealer?

Bob Warner
02-08-2002, 08:48 PM
What are you people using to seal Cocobolo? I am going to use it on an order but don't know what to use. Want something that polishes well.

Raymond Richard
02-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Bob, about the only thing I put on cocobolo is Minwax wax. I've put it on before and after a buff and been quite satisfied with the results. How's your shop vac doing? :) ...Ray

DC KNIVES
02-09-2002, 08:37 AM
Bob, I use Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax,seems to work pretty good.Dave

ansoknives
02-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Danish Oil and afterworth polish with kanauberwax

Bob Warner
02-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Thanks, guys.

Jens, is that Karnuba wax?

Cactusforge
02-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Bob Have you tryed Fix It get it fron Texas Knife Makers be sure you follow there instructions and let it dry befor buffing
Gib

ansoknives
02-09-2002, 10:46 AM
ya....never did know how it spelled....What I do is the same on all woods. I soak in the Danishoil for at least a few minuttes up to several hours depending on how oily and dense the wood is from start. Then I wipe it clean and let dry for some time...then polish with rough and fine compound on hardsewn and loose wheels...then apply the wax with a loose wheel.

I have the conic arbor that fits the drillpress....just turn it on and put the disk on the arbor...the speed tightens it...very fast changing from one buff to another...

Bob Warner
02-09-2002, 11:43 AM
Never tried Fix it, but will look at my catalog for it.

I think I will try Jens method for this knife and see how I like it.

s mcfall
02-19-2002, 11:44 AM
I just bought a can of fix-it from texas knifemakers supply,does it work good. i guess it is some sort of
coating for ceramics and crafts but doesnt say anything on it about wood...havent use it yet...any feedback?

Cactusforge
02-19-2002, 06:45 PM
read there instrustions and make sure that it is dry befor buffing, after you start you will think you made a big mistake but just keep going and you will be suprisided at the finish I have used it on Ironwood for 10 years. Gib

Bill Foote
02-20-2002, 12:18 AM
I use FIX IT on Mesquite. You need a hard wheel to take if off, comes off in globs, but after that, man, it looks good. And proytected, you spray on lots o' coats. The direction for using it on wood are in the TKS catalog.