View Full Version : Redwood - good for handles?

JossDelage
02-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Is that a good wood for handles?

Thanks,

JD

Don Cowles
02-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Nope, too soft. I guess you could have it stabilized if it's a nice burl, but ordinary redwood has a rather straight, uninteresting grain with no figure.

Raymond Richard
02-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Joss, in its natural state it is a little soft. I've seen alot of it that has been stabilized thats good looking handle material. Ray

JossDelage
02-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys. I just picked up a beautiful slab of burl on eBay. I got click happy... ;-)

primos
02-09-2002, 12:08 AM
I'm awaiting a special oversize block order of stabilized Redwood burl from Mike at WSSI right now. He say's it will be tough as the dickens after stabilization.

http://www.stabilizedwood.com/wood_img/cl_redwoodburl_tn.jpg

Raymond Richard
02-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Hey Terry, Mike says that about all his wood and his prices, thats tough. Just pulling your leg about his prices, he's always five to ten bucks less on his handle material. Must be because there's no middle man when you deal with Mike. Ray

MJHKNIVES
02-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Terry, I have a fighter with stabilized Redwood burl, that I made many years ago. It is very tough, and good looking

bldsmith
04-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Redwood is great for handles. Needs to be stablized first. Some does not but very hard to find a piece that hard. The pattern varies greatly. Living in redwood country helps find the neat stuff. I send it to K&G to stablize and have used it on quite a few blades. One of my favorites...