View Full Version : If you were not here you missed a good time

mrsjoan
01-27-2007, 10:01 PM
The winter meeting of the NCCKG is now in the "record books". Avery and I were up in Troy today and we had a GREAT time. Actually we arrived last night and enjoyed spending time with several of the members and their wives. We got together for supper, talking knives, family, and enjoying each other's company. Avery was glad when we finally headed towards the indoor pool for a night swim. Just don't understand why he thought that would be more fun than spending time with a bunch of adults just sitting around talking. :D

Today the meeting began with the directors discussing the direction of the Guild for the future. Then on to what everyone comes for, the demos. Tim Scholl started off with how to make a Bowie Box handle. Tim does a great job explaining things. I remember this same demo about 6 years ago. John was just beginning to make Bowies and had about figured out how to do this, but had a few questions. The meeting that time was in Virginia. We made the trip so John could get his questions answered. Tim's demo cleared everything up for him and he went home and began his first Bowie Box handle knife. Thanks Tim for the demo today and bringing back fond memories for me.

During the afternoon we had a lively "round table" discussion on many items that interested the membership. It was good to have Tommy McNabb there to help shed some light on some of the issues discussed.

Later in the afternoon Philip Gaddy showed us his technique for doing silver inlays. John and I got to know Philip at the engraving class Howard Peacock did at Montgomery Community College several years ago. Philip picked up engraving so easily. He was well into cutting scrolls when I was still trying to get enough mats under my feet to keep them from screaming at me. John said he spent as much money on mats for me as he paid for me and him both to take the class. You engravers who stand to do this job do not get paid enough!!!

Then came Avery's favorite part of any knife meeting. Iron In The Hat. He did very well in the "treasures" he picked to take back to Georgia. With a knife case, railroad spikes, saw blades, a box to hold his treasures, and some Trena McNabb original greeting cards (he got them for his dear Mammy---me) he is quite the happy young man.

The true highligh for me was to pick up the Katana John was working on before he died. He had it almost completely finished. It needed an edge and the wrapping on the handle tied off. I entrusted that job to two young men John had a great respect for, Barry and Philip Jones. And they did him proud. The piece is one I will keep and marvel over as long as I live. Then it will go to Avery because this is the first piece he remembers his Pappy grinding on.

Tonight we continue our visiting, staying at the home of Tommy and Trena McNabb in Winston-Salem. Once again these fine folks have shared their love for John by spending time with Avery just as if he was their own grandchild. I may be lost him to the artistic talents of Trena with his full body outline he and she worked on tonight. Avery does have the gentle ways of his Pappy.

When I get home and can get the pictures ready, I will post some for you guys to look over.

Next meeting is April 14 at the home/shop of Bill Bisher. I am looking forward to that meeting and Avery is already asking his mom and dad if he can take another "road trip" with me.

Barry Jones
01-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Joan,
It was such a pleasure seeing you and Avery again. i'm really glad you both made the trip to Troy.

I cannot take any credit for anything done to that sword. That was all Phillip's doing. I am glad that Phillip did it up right for you as that is a very special piece. I'm sure that Avery will treasure it for a lifetime.

BTW, Avery is really growing up fast.

For those that did not make it to the meeting, you missed out on a great day of fellowship with a bunch of knife nuts.

Even if you have to drive for 5 hours to attend one of the meetings they are worth it. The amount of knowledge that is freely shared is not something to pass up.

AcridSaint
01-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I had a great time and learned many things as well. It was good to put some faces on a few of the people here that I have been talking to also.

Thanks everyone!

ranger1
01-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Had a great time.Joan thank-you for bringing some of Johns knives.I have seen them before but,it seems every time I look at one of his pieces I find something new to marvil at.
Both demos were great,the box/frame handle demo answered a question I have had for some time now.I can see another deminsion in my knife making comeing with wire inlay.