View Full Version : folder design

eadus
01-15-2001, 06:36 PM
I have a number of knifemaking "heroes", namely Fred Carter, T.M.Dowell and Henry Frank. Whilst 2 of them make straight blades all three makers have something in common, all or most of their knives have simple, clean elegant lines. I believe that the hardest knife to make is the one that has those elements, simply because it shows up all ones shortcomings for all the world to see.
When I design a folder I look at the overall package, particularly with the blade in the open position. The profile should be of continuous lines and the treatment of the handle should be in keeping with the type of knife.
With lock-backs, once you have the mechanism sorted out, it is a simple matter to change the profile of the knife.

Steelej
01-17-2001, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the best ever" How To" Neil. It's guys like you that made Oz The Lucky Country. Would it be stretching things too much to ask for an oversize drawing of a locked up blade and bar, showing the exact points and faces that are vital to effective lockup ?

eadus
01-17-2001, 05:25 AM
Here we are Jim, the bar should lock up on points (1) and (2) although I prefer the face of the bar to meet flush with the blade notch, similarly at the rear. With a little care this can be achieved, that's why I hold the bar and blade combination up to the light, any gaps become immediately apparent.

http://www.ncknives.com/ImagesMisc/drw2.jpg
Drawing 2

Regards from sunny Australia.