View Full Version : small wheel assembly for a grizzly

Taz575
06-17-2001, 04:48 PM
How would I go about making one of these? I can't afford to buy a real grinder, so I am trying to make do with what I have. I tried the drum mandrels in a drill press, but the bands wear out very quick and its a pain to have to change them constantly. I have an idea of how to build a small wheel assembly, but how would i mount it so I wouldn't have to play with the height arm adjustment and everything??

William
06-18-2001, 10:40 PM
Well, I don't know about a small wheel assembly, but heres a solution to those pesky mandrels.

I use to use 1/2 for some groves and contours, but then I lost the dang thing some where in my "neat" little shop and had to have something.

I have been using 1/4" brass tube with masking tape built up to about 1/2" diameter with the last 1/2" or so of tape set over strips of shop roll or sandpaper. leave enough paper for a couple of wraps and when it clogs simply tear off the clogged section and continue.

It takes some getting used to and is not perfect, but I found the mandrel and still prefer my homemade sandpaper mandrel. I especially like the abilities to go from 60grit-800grit. without having to buy or change sanding rings and can make it any diameter I like.

William
06-18-2001, 11:25 PM
Check this site out,,,geocities.com/beaumontmetal/index.html (http://geocities.com/beaumontmetal/index.html)

Geno
06-19-2001, 08:03 AM
I have a small wheel atatchment for my Blade Master grinder but hardly ever use it.
It is a pain to set up(unless you plan to leave it).
It slows you down RPM'wise, so less output.
Your belts wear out quicker because be the tiny fractures it puts in the adhesive after bending around such a sharp corner.

I don't use drums anymore.
The split shaft will work but can be a pain too.(fairly dangerous too)

I use a "TOOTSIE ROLL" sander on a 1/4" die grinder.
MSC has the mandrel and assorted grits available.
They cut fast, change out in seconds from grit to grit, and are quite easy to control.
The abraisives come in packs of a hundred each, and cheaper than drums and such.

I hope the hint works well for you.

Taz575
06-20-2001, 03:27 PM
I am looking for a assembly, I have used the mandrels and don't like them because the bands wear out so quickly. The brass bar idea sounds interesting, but I want to get away from having the use sandpaper, I like being able to do most of the stuff with the grinder as it's much faster and I dont want to put strain on the drill press bearings by pushing something sideways.

Baltes189
06-21-2001, 09:53 AM
I don't know how well this will work but you might take 2 pillow block bearing that take a 1/2" spindle (or however big you want) and you could mount them on your grinder so you could use the spindle shaft as sort of a contact wheel.

Taz575
06-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Nathan House
06-22-2001, 11:02 PM
Taz the minture finger grove grinder the rob has on his page
I desinged it it work like a charm