View Full Version : What brands/makes of grinding belts do you prefer?

J Loose
07-19-2001, 10:21 PM
Awright,

Just got my Coote 10" 2x72. Now that I'm not just buying cheap aluminum oxide 1x30's I'd love to know what kinds of belts people prefer and why.

And for posterity... where do you prefer to get them?

Raymond Richard
07-20-2001, 08:12 AM
J, I'm wanting to call you Joe. I usually end up with Herms, but I had gone with the belts from Pearce for the last few years but the last few belts I had used started me thinking they just weren't lasting very long. I had emailed Wayne Goddard a few months ago with the which belt question and this is what I got from him. "He said he priferred the Hoggers by Norton in the 50 grit. Also said yes they were spendy at $5.25 a belt, but they would outlast $20.00 worth of the cheep belts." If Wayne said that you can take it to the bank. I know Trugrit carries them along with a wide assortment of belts and other items. I bought my hardcore grinder from them last year but still have my Coots which still is a good grinder. What size did you get? Ray

Geno
07-20-2001, 08:24 AM
Tru-Grit makes my belts up for me. I use a 2X60 belt for my Burr King. They make them on a stiff "X" weight back for me so my belts don't curl up, and the edges don't roll.
36 grit zirconia belts for roughing.
Klingspor or 3M for the rest, up to 600 grit.

Don Cowles
07-20-2001, 09:32 AM
Jon, I use the 3M ceramic belts for profiling and rough grinding, and the J-flex alumininum oxide for refining the grind. Finish grinding is done almost completely with 3M Trizact belts (costly, but they just don't wear out), and I occasionally use a 600 grit cork belt.

I have had no trouble with getting them from Koval, K&G, and Sheffield.

robertwashburn
07-20-2001, 06:06 PM
I order all my belts from abrasives south.Theybwill make any grit any flex and any type.I have used them for several years now and am pleased with the belts and service.Contact them and ask for sample belts. Robert Washburn ABS Journeyman Smith

Mike Snody
07-22-2001, 04:36 PM
Ceramics, Klingspor Jflex. trizact and micron. I get all of my my belts from Pop.
James Poplin that is. James is an accomplished maker in his own right and can give you advice regarding supplies. He also has the best prices anywhere that I am aware of. Take a look at his site.
www.popsknifesupplies.com/gallery.html (http://www.popsknifesupplies.com/gallery.html)

Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

Don Cowles
07-22-2001, 05:29 PM
Hey, Mike- great to see you posting here! Welcome!

J Loose
07-22-2001, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone,

So far, it seems like you get what you pay for in this department. Looks like I'm doing some experimenting here.

Can't wait to use a -real- grinder ;)

Mike Snody
07-22-2001, 08:37 PM
Thanks Don,
I figured I had lurked long enough. Take Care.

Mike Snody

CKDadmin
07-22-2001, 09:49 PM
Mike,

Welcome to the CKD!
Great to see you, partner ... !

Alex

J Loose
07-23-2001, 08:45 AM
Mike,

Now seems like an opportune time to say Hello and Welcome.

I've admired your work... love the skull & crossbones! ;)

Mike Conner
07-23-2001, 10:10 AM
Has anyone used any of the Schroder belts that Pop's has on his site? The price looks good.
Mike

ansoknives
07-23-2001, 03:54 PM
no point in mentioning names since my belts are made here in DK...but the are of high quality, are flexible and have very good joints. Only time I feel them is on 400 grit on pure alu wheel (my tracking wheel that I sometimes use for those curves I can?t get into with the contact and I am to lazy to change setup)

KandSKNIVES
07-31-2001, 07:26 PM
JL, I FINALLY FOUND THE INFO FOR THIS POST. THIS CO. SPECIALIZES IN SCHRODER BELTS, FROM GERMANY. I HAVE USED THESE BELT AND I DON'T THINK THAT THEY CAN BE BEAT FOR THE PRICE. THEY WILL CUT YOU A DEAL ON LG. PURCHASE, SPREAD OVER A YEAR'S TIME.

ABRASIVES SOUTH 800) 255-8112
www.abrasives-south.com
sales@abrasives-south.com

hope this helps
KEN (WWJD)

robertwashburn
07-31-2001, 08:45 PM
Ken,Sorry about not posting the address.I didn`t have it in front of me at the time.Like you say I think these belts are the best for the buck.