View Full Version : Have you ever made a Surface Grinder?

Bob Warner
09-06-2001, 06:57 PM
Have you ever made a Surface Grinder?

I have a design in my head and am preparing to make it but was wondering if you have done it and if so, can you share your info?

Since surface grinders are so hard to come by and cost so much, we need one that we can make ourselves.

Like I said, my idea will work but sure would like to see others to refine my idea prior to starting.

ansoknives
09-07-2001, 12:56 AM
The only stuff I have seen is where a maker has changed a regular surface grinder into a beltsurfacegrinder...I would like to know too!...if no one comes with info please post your ideas Bob!

Geno
09-07-2001, 11:19 AM
Jens,
Here's an old one I made.I brought it back up for you to get ideas from.
It worked great, but it took up a LOT of room at the time.

ansoknives
09-07-2001, 11:39 AM
That is a pretty cool setup...and much more simple than most surfacegrinders. That table is very clever!!

rfrink
09-07-2001, 04:21 PM
How wide?.....2X72 belts?

.... 4" wide belts?

Hard serrated contact wheel for speed?...or soft-n-smooth for finish?

How long of a work piece would you grind? 10" max... 20" max..?

wet or dry?

hmmmmm....I'll never get sleep tonight...now that I'm thinking about it!

I love machinery! (hee hee)

-Rob

Bob Warner
09-07-2001, 07:09 PM
I am thinking of making one with 2X72 inch belts. Using presision bars with linear bearings (or high quality drawer slides) for the table to move back and forth. Then build a base for the motor so that the contact wheel rides above the table. The motor, contact wheel and all moves up and down by having a hinge at one end and a threaded rod at the other. The threaded rod at the bottom would be attached to a 60:1 gear reducer (I have one). Turn the input of the gear reducer with a handle(like surface grinder handles, I have three) and the threaded rod would move the motor and all up or down.

I was thinking a smooth 6in contact wheel (because I have one) and a 2" tracking wheel (because I have one) on the other end. Two horse power motor (because I have one) for power. As for a magnetic chuck, I was going to try a 2500 lb. electromagnetic door lock (yes, thats right, I have one). Once you turn this thing on, NOTHING is moving the steel stuck to it.

This is all based on the home built surface grinder that Geno just took apart. I liked what he had but he is right, it took a lot of room. This design will be about 2' X 3" at most I would think. I think the gear reducer will make the ajustments very fine also. I have everything I need to build it but was looking for input from others that may have done them before.

I am not stupid either, I will wait until Geno shows us what his new creation looks like just in case I need to lower myself to copying his NEW one instead of his OLD one.

Boy, I sure am glad he is willing to share.

Geno
09-08-2001, 08:56 AM
Happy to share,Bud.
The drawer slides don't work as well as you would think. :)

2X72" belt, hard aluminum wheel has to be trued to your table.
Step pulleys regulate the speeds,30" of travel,Can run wet or dry.
I grind it .002"oversized and use that .002" to clean it up with the finer belts.(general rule of thumb)
Can go to a 600 grit finish, pretty quick.
I THINK I got them all that time. :)
Any more questions, just hollar.

Plain ol Bill
09-08-2001, 10:06 AM
Just about the time I think I've built just about everything I need you guys had to start this thread! Aw man - here we go again. I really need one of those (grin). OK Geno - get oiut the digital camera and take lots of pics and send to me - OK?

Geno
09-10-2001, 07:31 AM
Bill,
I'll have to wait for the new one. That one was disassembled.
The new one will take up MUCH less space in my shop.
I'll keep everyone informed.