View Full Version : Help wiring DC motor

BCB27
09-29-2001, 08:57 PM
I am trying to wire my DC motor/controller to use a dryer type 220V receptacle (what I am using for reference). Now that I have bought the wiring and receptacles, it seems that the dryer receptable doesn't utilize a ground, just two hots (red and black) and a neutral (white). I am guessing that my motor requires a ground, neutral, and hot (instructions are rather vague). Is this correct, and if so, what type of receptacle should I be using or can I wire the ground wire in place of the neutral?

TIA,
Brett

Bob Warner
09-29-2001, 09:56 PM
Your message is a little confusing to me. If you need 220V (be real sure you do) you will need two hots and a ground. Your white, if followed bak to the fuse panel is most likely attached to the ground bar. Get a volt meter and OHM it out to be sure. In that case just hook your red and black to your hot terminals and your ground to the white. You may want to post the instructions here so we can help more.

BCB27
09-29-2001, 11:30 PM
Bob,

It's an 180V DC motor, which requires 220V AC, if I understand correctly. I couldn't stand the waiting, so I wired it as I saw best (substituted the ground wire for the neutral wire). I figure it's fused, right! :) Well, so far it's working just fine. I bought enough cable to run to the dryer outlet in the next room, even though it's a tempory fix until I can get my electrician friend over to install the outlet in my shop. Your post is reassuring me since you mentioned that the neutral (white) is grounded inside the fuse panel.

Brett

Bob Warner
09-30-2001, 08:04 AM
If it is running, you are probably just fine. 220V stuff is not complicated, two hots and a ground. No Neutral.

One problem I have seen people having trouble with is trying to get both hots from the same leg in the breaker box. There is not potential between them. Once they figure this out, they are running in a couple minutes. But if you think about it, both hots will come from breakers (different breakers, different legs) but the grounds and neutrals always come from the ground bus.

Glad it works.