View Full Version : surface grinder ideas

Tiaan Burger
12-02-2001, 04:02 PM
Seeing Gene's homebuilt surface grinder on his shop tour page got me thinking about the following.

I have a belt grinder with a very exposed contact wheel. Will it be possible to build a VERTICAL slide for it? To touch the wheel the workpiece must move forward instead of up. The cutting strokes must then be up and down. The cutting position will then be left or right. You getting the picture?

Any ideas?

First thing will be to remount my beltgrinder on a rock steady surface, onto which to mount this "thing".

Peace

Tiaan

Bob Warner
12-02-2001, 08:45 PM
I had a similar idea but it was to place a platen at about 45 degrees in front of the contact wheel and slide the steel in and out (up and down). The problem with this for me is it would only be good for presision grinding barstock but not good for folder parts. You would have a hard time making the blade thinner than the back spine.

It is a good idea though and with some thinking could work.

Bill Foote
12-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Another question about surface grinders.....I will be getting a used MSC bench 6 X 12 surface grinder in great condition soon for close to nothing, but the spec says table to wheel minimum 3 1/2". Is this something that can be modified easily? It has a permanent magnet chuck riding on 36 ball bearings.

Bob Warner
12-04-2001, 05:51 AM
I will make the assumption that this grinder will have a stone for the grinding. You could replace the stone with a 2X72 belt grinder, using a bigger wheel to get you down to the chuck. Rob Frink could make a wheel to that would make up the difference that would fit EXACTLY to the chuck without grinding the chuck. Then you could be in business.

OR, I could come an pick it up and work on it for the next 30 years before returning it. Maybe I could get it to work.

Geno
12-04-2001, 07:57 AM
I'll see if I can get Pat to post pics of my new one.

DECK H
12-04-2001, 09:15 AM
I have seen 2 surface grinders built from radial arm saws. One uses a stone whell and the other one was modified to use 2X72 inch belts.

Bob Warner
12-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Can you describe these in more detail? I have a radial arm saw that is not doing anything.

Gene, tell Pat to get after the pictures of your new one. I am sure she has nothing to do except keep track of those kids, work, cook, etc.........

I really need to get mine built but need a few more options before deciding on a design.

Bill Foote
12-04-2001, 12:41 PM
Thanks Bob,
I think I'll do just that. To convert from stone to belt all I should need is a tracking wheel and a solid extension attached to the surface grinder I believe.

Bob Warner
12-04-2001, 02:43 PM
Bill,

That is about it to convert over.

So, I guess me storing it for the next 30 years is out, huh!

Bill Foote
12-04-2001, 09:27 PM
Bob,
My brother found it in Honeywell's tool "graveyard" retired due to a larger tool. I bid $300.00 and got it. Shipping from CT to TX is only $115. so I end up with a $2000.00 surface grinder for $415.00! Now that I think about it 3.5" from wheel to table is probably from the center of the wheel, which would put the 7" wheel right at the table. Oh, and you're welcome to come over and use it any time!

Bob Warner
12-05-2001, 09:58 AM
Sounds like you make out on that deal. I hope it all works out. I have been told by those lucky enough to have them that converting them to a 2X72 is most definately the way to go.

Have fun.

Geno
12-06-2001, 04:43 PM
I finally poked her hard enough to post the pics, Bob. :)
Actully, she was waiting on me to take the photo's.
Anyway, that's my new toy,posted under,"Speaking of"