View Full Version : Which Mini-Mill?

tmickley
01-08-2002, 10:36 PM
I've decided I need to have a mini-mill. Any reccomendations or stories or just things to look for? I've no experience with mills (or lathes) so I haven't a clue what to look for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Someone will tell me to get a full blown Bridgeport, that just isn't going to happen. I'm out of shop space but I figure I can sneak in a mini-mill next to my drill press.

Joe Walters
01-08-2002, 11:03 PM
I've been looking at them also. Right now I'm seriously considering the Sherline brand, primarily because there's so many accessories available. I'm shying away from the chinese imports altogether. Also there's one offered from Riverside Machine that looks pretty nice.

primos
01-09-2002, 12:03 AM
My wife bought me the one from Al Lawrence (Uncle Al) at Riverside last Christmas. It's a little variable speed workhorse, but I can't compare it to any others since I don't have any experience with them. It doesn't bog down or wander on the work. All I know how to do with it so far is mill slots for my guards and slots for mortise tang knives.

I talked to Al today. I'm supposed to drive up to his shop Thursday for a little knifemaker's gathering and he's going to give me a tutorial to help me better harness its potential.

DC KNIVES
01-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Don't have one but hope to this year.Try these sites.Dave

www.taigtools.com/ (http://www.taigtools.com/)

www.desktopmachineshop.com/index.html (http://www.desktopmachineshop.com/index.html)

Geno
01-09-2002, 10:17 AM
I have a bench top mill and love it.It doesn't take up too much room and has all the power I need.
I havn't tried a mini mill in years, they are suppose to be a lot better now, but used to be high RPM and low torque.
I can't help much with info on mini mills, but a Dremel will do many of the same tasks for a fraction of the price.
I used Dremels untill I could afford a good machine, and still use the Dremel for a lot of it.

acs1943
01-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Hi Folks
Try this site they give a comparison of a lot of mills
not just CNC.
www.desktopcnc.com/ (http://www.desktopcnc.com/)
if you want to go just a bit bigger then CENTEC sa is the way to go. they can only be got used now but great machine.
will post pics some time.
All the best

Alan.

JohnM
01-09-2002, 05:09 PM
Terry, is that the one you show in your tutorial (fine tutorial BTW) on solderless guards? It sure cut a nice slot for that knife. Manual feed I assume? A mill is something I am also considering.

JohnM

primos
01-09-2002, 05:49 PM
John,
Yes, that's the one, and yes it's manual feed. Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you liked the tutorial.

Shotgunone
01-09-2002, 07:36 PM
I looked and talked about milling machines for quite a while. Considered the Sherline and the Taig and the imports (grizzly mini mill and the larger mill drills). After many months I bought the import benchtop mill drill. I just started using it in the last month or so. I got it at harbor freight but it is the same mill as the Grizzly G1005 model. 1 hp belt drive manual mill.

I ask around on some metal working sites as well as knifemaking sites. The ultimate answer I got was bigger is better. :) Understand I have no experience at all so was relying on that of others. Plus I have not seen the taig up close. Most people said the sherline would be to small. I would agree. The Taig was said to be a better choice for what we do. Heavier more sturdy. The grizzly mini mill received mixed reviews, some loved it others did not.

I wound up with the mill drill. About 400 pounds, very solid. I like it :) I really think the imports are not that bad. I was told that the Taiwanese models were better than the china models so that's what I got.

acs1943
01-10-2002, 02:30 PM
I have been watching this thread and the one thing that I must say is be very carefull. they can be very dangers that dont stop when you shout Ow! they will spit very sharp metal splitters at you.
I had a cutter shatter and bits went clean though a tuffn glass window.

You cant buy new eyes

haveing said all of that they are great fun and very usefull.
best regards

Alan