View Full Version : Have a question about a course? Post here.

Don Robinson
12-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Please post all questions, comments and suggestions you have about any or all of the courses and we'll get you an answer. :)

SVanderkolff
12-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Don
I plan on taking the liner lock course once enrollment opens up. I read through the materials required section. Would it be possible to be more specific in the requirements for Ti and reamers and taps. Living where I do it will take a while to get the necessary supplies and equipment and I would prefer not to have to wait 2 to 3 weeks at the beginning of the course. Also when does enrollment open?
Thanks
Steve

Don Robinson
12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Don
I plan on taking the liner lock course once enrollment opens up. I read through the materials required section. Would it be possible to be more specific in the requirements for Ti and reamers and taps. Living where I do it will take a while to get the necessary supplies and equipment and I would prefer not to have to wait 2 to 3 weeks at the beginning of the course. Also when does enrollment open?
Thanks
Steve

Hi, Steve.

The locking liner and framelock courses are scheduled to start 2/15/06.

Go here for the scheduled start dates.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/school/index.shtml

This is posted on the "Workshop" forum.

The enrollment period starts 21 days prior to the start date, so enrollment will be open January 25th.

Here's what I'll use

1. .050 or .060" thick 6al/4v titanium sheet for liners

2. .090 to .125" thick 6al/4v Ti for the bolsters

3. One 3/16" diameter straight pivot pin with 4-40 threads

4. Three 1/8" dia. straight pivot pins with 2-56 threads (or) three 1/8" dia. dowel pins

5. 1/8" dia. straight flute chucking reamer, HSS
(Note: If you use dowel pins, you'll need a .126" dia. reamer because dowels are slightly oversize.)

6. 3/16" dia. straight chucking reamer

7. 2-56 spiral point tap with No. 49 drill HSS

8. No. 48 drill for clearance on 2-56 screw, 11/64 drill to c'bore screw head

9. No.33 drill for clearance on 4-40 screw, 7/32 drill to c'bore screw head

10. 4-40, 2-56 button head Torx screws

11. 2-56 flat head Torx screws

12. T6 and T8 Torx screw ####### ( 2 of each)

12. One 3/8"dia. 82 degree single flute countersink for metal

13. One 1/4" or 3/8" dia. 82 degree multiple flute countersink for handle materials

All these supplies with the possible exception of drills, reamers and countersinks are available from Halpern Titanium, Knifekits.com. and other suppliers.

Enco or MSC are good suppliers for drills, reamers, taps, etc. Or check your local industrial supply house.

Anything else? :)

Thanks for asking, Steve. This should help everyone.

ADDED: One thumb bob or thumb disk, available from the same sources.

cavetech
12-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi Don:

For the Blade, liner, and backspacer filework class what material could I purchase to lean on during the class so I don't mess up a knife? Also, where can I purchase the practice material?

Don Robinson
12-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi Don:

For the Blade, liner, and backspacer filework class what material could I purchase to lean on during the class so I don't mess up a knife? Also, where can I purchase the practice material?

Steve, all you need for practice is a small piece of flat ground stock, 1018, etc. Get a piece around 1/8" thick x 1" wide at your local industrial supplier, MSC, Enco, maybe even Home depot.

You'll need an 8" half round mill file and a chain saw file to start.

interceptor
01-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I am keen to enrol for the Blade, Liner and Back Spacer Filework course, any idea when it is likely to go ahead?

Cheers Noel

Don Robinson
01-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi,

I am keen to enrol for the Blade, Liner and Back Spacer Filework course, any idea when it is likely to go ahead?

Cheers Noel

Hi, Noel. Go here for the schedule.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32476

It's scheduled to start 3/15/06.

Hope to see you there. Down under?
:welcome:

ONT
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm would to take course #1 but I just saw it today. Do you need the knife before it starts.
There won't be time ship it. Is there certain times that we have to be on line.
Steve

interceptor
01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Hi Don,

The course does not show yet, but you can count me in.

Cheers Noel

Don Robinson
01-04-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm would to take course #1 but I just saw it today. Do you need the knife before it starts.
There won't be time ship it. Is there certain times that we have to be on line.
Steve

Steve, the enrollment period has been extended to January 9th., so just sign up and after you have enrolled you can take part in the class.

The knife kit will be shipped to you as soon as you enroll.

You'll have plenty of time to catch up with the rest of us. Don't worry about that.

So, enroll ASAP!:)

As for certain times to be on line, No. You do this on your own time whenever you have the time and post questions and comments as you go.

Don Robinson
01-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi Don,

The course does not show yet, but you can count me in.

Cheers Noel

Each course enrollment period activates 21 days prior to the start date, so mark your calendar, Noel.

interceptor
01-05-2006, 04:21 AM
Sorry Don,

I worked that out about 2 minutes after I posted.

Cheers Noel

Richard Ames
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
I need to know when the slip joint course is going to be open for enrollment. Thanks Richard

Don Robinson
01-08-2006, 07:46 AM
I need to know when the slip joint course is going to be open for enrollment. Thanks Richard

Go here for the course schedules, Richard.

The class starts on feb. 1, so enrollment starts on Wednesday, Jan.11, 21 days prior to the class start date.

See you there.
:101

Frank J Warner
01-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Don, I'm interested in the button lock course you've scheduled for April (#8) but the course info and enrollment links are for the fixed blade kit knife (#1).

Can you fix the links so I can see what I might be getting myself into, against all better judgment?

-Frank

Don Robinson
01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Don, I'm interested in the button lock course you've scheduled for April (#8) but the course info and enrollment links are for the fixed blade kit knife (#1).

Can you fix the links so I can see what I might be getting myself into, against all better judgment?

-Frank

Well son of a gun!! here's Frank Warner.:101

Frank, The enrollment period doesn't start until 21 days prior to each class start date, so the enrollment link won't work until then.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't written up a description for the class. That's why the description link doesn't work.

I'll fix that ASAP.

SVanderkolff
01-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Don
When is the enrollment for the liner lock course opening up. I thought it was scheduled to start Feb 15 and unless my math is way off that is less than 21 days away. Or did I miss something.
I picked up my mill this past weekend so I should be good to go.

BTW how ae the classes going. I haven't heard much either way on the forums.

Thanks
STeve

Don Robinson
01-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi, Steve.

I've just revised the class start dates. Please look here:

My plate is running over now. I have several custom knife orders that I haven't had time to start, and I'm never late on a delivery. I've moved back some of the classes and relisted the ones that have completed.

The reason you don't see anything on the forums about the classes is that nobody can see the class threads except those people who are enrolled in a particular class.

I hope the delay doesn't inconvenience you.

In the meantime, I'll help you with your milling questions. Just email me directly or post on the folding knife forum.:)

GBRADLEY
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi Don,
I just now found out about your class's. How do I go about starting now. I am a beginner in this field.
Thank you,
Brad

Don Robinson
02-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi Don,
I just now found out about your class's. How do I go about starting now. I am a beginner in this field.
Thank you,
Brad

Hello, Brad.

Go to the course schedule, pick out your class, mark your calendar and click on the link to enroll in the class before it starts.

The enrollment starts 21 days prior to the start date for each class.

Several of the classes are repeating for the second time. Lots of good topics for a beginner.

:welcome: