View Full Version : In Defense of Crown Stag & Personal Tastes

Moosehead
12-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi all!

Let me first preface my remarks by saying that taste is a very personal matter, and everyone is entitled to like or dislike whatever the subject matter may be. :p

On the "Bowie Buildn' " thread, BradV said: "...the crown stag does nothing for me." and TomthBomb followed with: "I heard from a Master Dealer that Mr. Randall does not care for crown stag. Could be just hearsay."

In my case, stag is my favourite handle material, and crown stag is the ultimate. However, I will be the first one to say that not all stag, let alone all crown stag appeals to me. I have my own preferences. For instance, it has to be gnarly, colourful and of a shape and dimension that is in the right proportion to the knife for me to like it. I would say that it is only the minority of stag and crown stag handled knives which I really like. :eek:

With regard to Tom's claim that perhaps "...Mr. Randall does not care for crown stag...", I would first say that I guess Tom was referring to Gary, and not his sons Jason or Michael, and who knows what either of these two gents think of crown stag? But regardless as to whether it's true or not about Gary, or whatever Jason or Michael like, to me it doesn't matter. :) I respect everyone's tastes.

However, I wonder if you ever considered Tom, that when it came to choosing a handle material for the 50th Commemorative knife for RMK back in 1988 it was both Bo and Gary who chose crown stag... ;)

Anyway, as we say up here: "Chacun ? son gout!" :101

Cheers!

David

panhead
12-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Mr. Moosehead
I agree that it really depends on the stag. It used to be my favorite handle material. I'm now into Ironwood and other semi exotic woods. Most of my Randalls are stag, with cool woods second, then micarta my least favorite and a few Ivory pieces. Crown stag can be very cool but as you said it really must fit the knife. Oh what the heck, I like em all.

Panhead
Steven Crawford
RKS 4109

Moosehead
12-02-2005, 07:48 PM
"Oh what the heck, I like em all."

I think you nailed it Steven! :D

Cheers!

Moosehead

Seussbrother
12-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Speaking of crown stag which I also love, is it possible to order from the shop a knife handled in furnished crown stag with one inch or so of stacked leather washers near the hilt and have the stag pinned on as well as bonded with epoxy? I have one crown stag Randall but that's not near enough! I agree that the stag must fit the knife and be oriented in such a way as to enhance the lines of the blade. The mooseman has an eye for great stag!

Seussbrother

BradV.
12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
David,

I hope my comment regarding crown stag did not cause you to feel you had to defend your handle preference or infer that I was thinking of crown stag as inferior to other materials. I was speaking for myself only and saying that the crown variety did not appeal to me and was not putting down anyone who likes it or impugning anyone's personal tastes. I do like some stag and have a couple of knives handled in that material. My stag preferences are for the red variety and the premium popcorn style. I do realize that there are some folks who drool over a nice crown stag handle and that's fine. It's just not my bag.

I love exotic and semi-exotic woods a great deal and I drool over materials such as narwhal, mammoth ivory, bison and sheep horn. I love elephant ivory, also, but it's too high maintenance. I have two pieces of narwhal ivory (legal) that I'm going to have put on some Randall orders in the next couple of months and working on acquiring a 6-foot long narwhal horn (again, legally) by February. Some here adore leather handles above all else but I can take it or leave it. Sorry for the digression but these are my personal tastes and I would never take it personally if others do not share my enthusiasms.

I subscribe to the democratic process and if, when the Captain tallies up the final vote, stag is the winner by majority I'll cheerfully go along with it.

As some of us say down here:

"a cada sus el propios"

Regards,

Brad

SteveM
12-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Speaking of crown stag which I also love, is it possible to order from the shop a knife handled in furnished crown stag with one inch or so of stacked leather washers near the hilt and have the stag pinned on as well as bonded with epoxy? I have one crown stag Randall but that's not near enough! I agree that the stag must fit the knife and be oriented in such a way as to enhance the lines of the blade. The mooseman has an eye for great stag!

Seussbrother

It's got to be possible, I know where there's one for auction :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's a nice looking knife. The only way I'd bid is if the seller agreed to have it authinicated.

Seussbrother
12-02-2005, 11:57 PM
SteveM, heh, heh, heh! My subtle way of trying to get DW or some other knowledgeable Randall nut to clarify what can be got. I thought that I remembered from somewhere that pinned stag was not an option but I could easily be wrong.

Seussbrother:101

Buddy Thomason
12-02-2005, 11:59 PM
As I'm sure most folks here know, Bo Randall's first knives featured crown stag - as in this one from the collection of Rhett Stidham:
http://www.fototime.com/DC398E8D466EAC2/orig.jpg

Bo Randall was inspired by this William Scagel knife which curenntly resides at the RMK shop:
http://www.fototime.com/D604D77DBA4BA30/orig.jpg

Seussbrother
12-03-2005, 12:13 AM
BradV, I think that is why the shop offers so many combinations of material and shapes. After 67 years of making knives, they know that everyone's tastes are different and everyone has their own specific use in mind for their knife. I'm not speaking for the loose Moose here but I know he feels the same way we all do. To each his own and my "own" changes every time I see a combination that tickles my fancy. I think at one time or another, I've fallen in love with every handle material available:cool: And at one time or another, I've thought that "I'll just collect THAT pattern in it's various configurations". I think most of us do that and that's what makes this hobby so danged interesting. I've known several posters here for a few years now and every time I think I've figured out what someone is locked into, they throw me a ringer that I would not have guessed in a million years.

It's all good and it's all fun!

Seussbrother:101

Buddy Thomason
12-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm guessing that crown stag has inspired more artistry in handmade knives than any other handle material, such as Larry Fuegen's "Smaug" - a famous flying dragon from The Hobbit:
http://www.fototime.com/07D18FC2E058AC2/standard.jpg

Still, it's understandable that not everybody will prefer crown stag as handle material, especially in a using knife as it is often not comfortable to carry crown stag close to the body. Also, it requires tedious cleaning prior to fitting.

Personally, I like it. For me, nothing outside of Native American artifacts can evoke the memorable chapters of North American history from 150+ years ago like crown stag.

Raindog
12-03-2005, 01:29 AM
It's funny how people's taste's evolve. It seems that a lot of people here are turning from stag towards more wood. I have always been a fan of wood handled knives and have just come to start favoring stag over the last year or so. The picture that I posted in the other thread is my only crown stag Randall, and I purchased it recently. I have a second one on order with the good Captain. So I have become quite a fan. Who knows, this time next year, leather may do it for me (but I really doubt it.)

Before I digress into another forum, what I am trying to say is that these discussions are what I have really have come to enjoy here. It keeps my interest up and my mind opened. Thanks everyone.

Now, if I could just get DW and the RMK shop to accept warthog ivory for handle material, life would be complete :lol

Moosehead
12-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi all!

I'm delighted to see that I've stirred the passions of those of you who love crown stag, as well as all the other great materials which can enhance a knife. Of course I was reacting to Brad and Tom's comments when I started this thread, but I only intended to stimulate a good discussion, and this is what we have.

As Allan said: "It's all good and it's all fun!" :)

Thanks Buddy for the photo of Larry Fuegen's "Smaug"! :eek:

Cheers!

David

tomthbomb
12-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry if I stepped on any toes or hurt any feelings. That was not my intention. I was only quoting a statement made by a 30+ year Randall dealer. I do not personally know what Mr. Randall (any of them) like or dislike. Matter of fact I would not recognize him if he walked up and knocked on my door right now.

I will say this, since my comment inspired such a spirted discussion you can bet I'll be up late tonight trying to come up with another half baked, off the cuff statement!:D

Don't stop now guys. I'm enjoying this!

Moosehead
12-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Not to worry Tom, I doubt very much if you hurt anyone's feelings, and I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next... :confused:

Besides you are a certified member of the "Just Ain't Right" Club, and we expect nothing less than "half baked, off the cuff statements" from you. :lol

We need stuff like this to get folks out of their lurking mode and to fire up these forums in a friendly manner. :D

Cheers!

David

tomthbomb
12-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Besides you are a certified member of the "Just Ain't Right" Club, and we expect nothing less than "half baked, off the cuff statements" from you. :lol
Cheers!
David
I am also President for Life of the Deep East Texas Chapter of the Keepers Of Odd Knowledge Society!

jclarksnakes
12-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Tom,
....You definitely just ain't right. Perhaps that is why you fit in so well with all of us.
Jeff

j. randall
12-04-2005, 04:01 PM
I personally favor crown stag. Size does matter though, it's not very often that we receive proportionate customer supplied pieces. Has a great feel if done right. There is a rehandled(not by us) 20 on ebay presently.

Moosehead
12-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi Jason!

Thanks for letting us know your views on crown stag.

I guess it's difficult for folks to visualize what a knife will finally look like when they supply the shop with their own of piece crown stag. 8o

I don't know who originally supplied the crown stag for my #1-7 and my #12-9-#14 grind, but I couldn't be more satisfied with them. :101

Thanks as well for letting us know that the #20 presently up on eBay is a knife which has been re-handled by someone other than RMK. It does look like whoever did it knew what they were doing.

Cheers!

David

The "Captain"
12-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Seuss,
The answer to your question, regarding leather spacers and pinned crown stag, ala "Treeman/ Scagel" style, is a resounding "NO"! Randall does not offer this, or either one by itself, at this time, and has no plans to offer it in the future. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Randall Man
12-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Howdy Cap, Jason, and the rest of yor RMK freaks! :D

I'm just back from a quick trip to Mooseville to visit my good friend Moosehead.

After getting my horse unstuck from a snow drift, I was able to quaff a few Moosehead ales with my pal.

Unfortunately, the poor guy has no flush toilet, so I was forced to use the old out house in the back when it was minus 25!!!:eek:

Just before I left, I snapped a shot of Moosehead fondling his latest Randall. It's the #1-7 he posted on the Model #1 thread. You can tell he really does love crown stag when it looks right, and ya'll know so do I! :smokin

Gotta run! Trouble's a callin'...:evil

Dang! There's no rest for an ordinary Super Hero...

Best

RM

crimsontide
12-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Randall Man,
Based on that picture, that is one huge piece of crown stag in the hands of such a small little moose. Maybe you should give him a model 21, 26 or 10-3!!!!!

Moosehead
12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Wayne!

Sheesh, that Randall Man...

He sure knows how to embarass a guy :o

When I get my hooves around his neck.... :mad:

Cheers!

Moosehead

Moosehead
12-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi all!

The knife Jason was referring to ["There is a rehandled(not by us) 20 on ebay presently."] sold for $996. :eek:

There was no clear indiication by the seller that this was a rehandled knife, with the crown stag added by someone other than the Randall shop. I wonder if any of the high bidders knew this, and whether or not the knowledge would have affected their bidding? :confused:

Cheers!

David

P.S. It's still a very "cute" little #20!