View Full Version : how do i etch chainsaw damacus

Brett Holmes
10-28-2005, 01:11 AM
this has probably been asked a thousand times, but i couldn't find it. i just made come chain damascus that im, going to use for bolsters and i was wondering how do i etch it? ive never used any damascus before so i have no idea. i beleive i need the stuff they use to etch circuit boards but what do i do with it. do i dilute it? do i need to leave it in for a while or just a few seconds?
any help would be apreciated.
Brett

Bearpaw
10-28-2005, 05:33 PM
I use ferric chloride PCB etchant from Radio Shack, part number 276-1535 at about $5.00 for a 16oz. bottle. For my use and a deeper etch, I mix it 50/50 with distilled water. Others may suggest 3 parts water to one acid for a slower etch. I clean the blade with acetone then place it up to the beginning of the tang in the FC which is in a verticle tank made from PVC pipe. Take out after a few seconds to look for any uncleaned areas or finger prints then back in the FC for 5 minutes. Remove and using a clean old tooth brush, scrub under hot water to remove the sludge created by the FC eating away the steel then back into the FC in 5 minute increments until you get the depth of etch you want. Scrub clean and neutralize the FC with baking soda.