View Full Version : HT of damascus

Andrew Garrett
10-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Perhaps this question should be in the HT forum, but I'll ask here anyway.

I am going to be grinding my first damascus blade next week out of a billet of Thunderforged damascus purchased from TKS. Normally, I edge quench my blades, but somehow, I don't think a hamon is desirable is a damascus knife. Should I quench to the neck just behind where the front of the handle will be?

Tips would be great.

Thanks.

Andries Olivier
10-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Quench the complete blade, tang and all. Otherwise you might get cracking. You can also edgequench, but you will almost certainly get uneven etching above and below the temperline.

Andrew Garrett
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
I suspected as much. Thank you!

Mitch Edwards
10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
You do have the option of using a torch with a small tip to draw the back of the blade and tang area after you do your etching. This will give you the flexibility for the blade. You will need to watch your color on the blade as the heat moves down toward the cutting edge. Have some water in a pan that will accomadate the length of the blade to where you can place the edge in it to keep from loosing the temper. Good luck.

ZDP-189
10-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I just did a thin bladed knife of Thunderforged damascus. Not knowing better, I did a full hard (not edge) quench but not on the tang. A 3hr 350?F temper seemed to work fairly well, with my HRC55 file just beginning to bite.