View Full Version : Uncommom 18

Wideglide
07-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Well Captain, one more lurker out from under the cloaking mode. This is a #18 I received from the shop. I ordered it without sawteeth. I find they serve no useful purpose other than tearing up leather sheaths.I also like the different flow that it gives to the blade and sharpening the upper edge would serve more usefully in a survival situation.

The "Captain"
07-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Good to see ya' here, bud. I order about 25-30 model #18's per year. Of that number only about 10% are STN models. You are right about the "lines" of the knife. The same can be said for the Models #14 and #15 made up the same way. Way cool Randalls!! I guess a whole lotta folks just don't know about this option, or else I would see more orders like this one.
Side note: 90% of the "other" #18's come "fully involved", i.e.: stainless: knurled handle: compass installed: "tricked-out sheath, either black or waxed model "C" type. A good portion of them are ordered with "both" tricked-out sheaths!
By the way: Do "I" get credit for bringing you out of the closet, or did someone else rattle your cage. Either way, I am glad you're back and I think you will find a home here. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Rob Kelly
07-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey Buddy

Welcome to the forums

Great looking Knife

I am a sucker for a model 18 as you know

and we all really dig pics of knives

Thanks for sharing

Rob :D

Wideglide
07-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Actually MarthaK clued me in.

Moosehead
07-26-2005, 09:25 PM
It's great to have you aboard, Wideglide! :101

I also prefer the NO sawteeth option. I think your knife looks way :cool: like the Captain said.

AND thank you Martha, for getting the glider going! Now, when are you going to take the plunge? ;)

Cheers all

David

The "Captain"
07-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I emailed Martha quite some time ago and I believe she did check us out but has not piped in as of yet. If you are out there, Martha, please, please join us. This is "NOT" an exclusive guy's club! (Hell: with me here it obviously isn't exclusive at all!). Hope to see more folks come out of the woodwork. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Raindog
07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Very nice looking knife! I like that look. Correct me if I am wrong but haven't I read that the sawteeth are more suited for cutting aircraft canopy than wood? If such is the case it would make sense to me to not have the teeth. But maybe I remember wrong.

Thanks for sharing the picture. It really looks nice. :101

-gary

Seussbrother
07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Ya know, I keep an old #14 7 1/2 with #18 grind with sawteeth closest by me at the computer. If my 'puter table was bigger, I'd keep more at hand to enjoy. Not sure if I described my knife correctly about the #18 grind but I'm sure someone will straighten me out. Cap owes me one anyway for the email I sent him the other night giving him a hard time. No malice intended. It's my job! :D I guess I haven't been paying attention but I don't remember an 18 with no teeth but had wondered how it would look. Wideglide, I like the heck out of it!!!!!!

Seussbrother :101

azgator
07-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Glad you came over - I find it slower, but more sensible.

That's a sweet #18 you have there. :101 I agree with your reasons for skipping the teeth, I'm glad there's someone else who doesn't see a reason for them.

It's also reminds me that after I get all the RMKs I "need", I need to get the ones I "want" - namely a complete set of spearpoints. I think that would be at least a CC, 14, 15, 16 and 18 (both lengths)

Thanks for the pic!

RedElk
07-27-2005, 07:40 AM
Hey Wideglide,
Welcome aboard! I can't tell, is that the short or the long blade on your 18? That is sweet!

Capt. I was also drafted by MarthaK....
Aw heck....I AM MarthaK. I thought you said you would remember the "RedElk." So much for the alias. (Karl Rove should have offered that woman $200 toward a Randall...he wouldn't be in trouble right now if he had!)

The "Captain"
07-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I absolutely, positively do not remember the "RedElk" deal! I "do" remember talking to you and you saying something about a different moniker or whatever, but that's as far as it goes! Cool deal!! So far you are leading the pack on the "Randall Buddy System / Cap's cap" enlistment contest!! Glad to have ya', whatever your name is. Keep up the good work.
Gator is correct. This forum may not have 100's of posts and threads per day, but everyone seems to get along well, so far. I have it on "5" authorities that this forum will not get out of hand. I sincerely hope that's the case, because I don't think that any of us need the aggravation. As I used to say as a kid: This one is more better! Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

RedElk
07-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Capt, the only thing I will insist you remember is to mail out my knives once they're in. Everything else is extra!

The "Captain"
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
THAT'S COVERED!! It's the stuff that I "don't" write down that leaves a lot to be desired. Your Randalls will be taken care of and come out as promised. Best for now, Captain chris stanaback

Moosehead
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi RedElk!

Well, I'll be darned, aren't you the sneaky little so and so.

I should have figured out the Virginia connection, but I'm plum flabbergasted! :eek: :o

I welcome you aboard ...again! :101

As for Caps' memory, I hope he wrote down my orders. :lol

Cheers!

David

RedElk
07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
After ordering a knife or two from Capt. I needed to write the order down.
You know how the "create a knife" threads go? Well, the Capt. comes up with as many cool suggestions on the phone as he does on the forum. It's as bad as trying to order a banana split from Baskin Robbins!!! I'm still waiting for my #7 with the chocolate jimmies....or wait....

Seussbrother
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Not that I'm that stable anyway, but you could have knocked me over with a feather over that revelation Red! Welcome aboard again. This time with a more gentle, subtle bow and a respectful tip of the aussie type straw hat. I don't think I ever would have figured it out even if you had told me like you did Cap. Naw, that's wrong! If you had told me, I would have remembered. You know how old people like Cap are? You forgot to draw him a picture. :lol

Seussbrother :101

BoBlade
07-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Martha,

This "revelation" made my day :) Lookin' forward to seeing more of you.

Best,

Ron

2Shot
08-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi Martha,

Whew! Glad the "secret" is out of the bag! :D

I have to admit, I Did know it was you, but was...sworn to secrecy!

Your insite is Always welcome, and I hope you get a good shot at the next thread knife! :101

Kent

Rob Kelly
08-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey very cool Martha

ya had us all tricked

Glad to see you around

Rob

thewap
08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
good to see you here Wideglide! :101

Wideglide
08-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Thank you..the absence of egos is refreshing!

Byrdguy
08-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Got this 16 Diver recently from the Cap. I like it without the sawteth. Great green linen micarta.