View Full Version : Need some help

sheathmaker
07-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I found a couple of old "new" knives in the bottom of my gun safe. I think I put them there about 20-25 years ago. One is a MINT Schrade 51OT. It is still in the factory plastic bag with the cosomoline. Original factory box with sheath and papers and still has the factory sleeve on the box. The other is a yellow handle KABAR three blade stockman. In original box with papers and it's in the factory plastic bag too. It has a stress crack on each side of the rear pin running from the pin to the edge. Don't know how they got there, because like the Schrade, it had not been out of the box until the other day. Anybody have any idea about the valus of either or both of these knives?

TKC
10-21-2005, 12:35 PM
I am really surprised that someone here has not answered you yet!! I am curious as well, as to their worth and what not.

hammerdownnow
07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I was looking for some info on an old Kbar and ran across this thread in a search. Did a quick ebay search and found this 510T that recently sold for $102.50. Hope that help a little. Ask about old knives in "This Old Knife" forum.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Schrade-Old-Timer-Folding-Knife-510T-USA-No-Res_W0QQitemZ6639431982QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48820QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

orvet
08-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Paul,
I have been looking for one on ebay to add to my collection. I have been looking for a user, & those are getting up to $60 lately.

Mint in the box with papers, I wouldn't be surprised to see you get $125. There is a lot of them on ebay lately (comparatively speaking) and I expect to see the price on a user to drop to the $40 range......at least that is what I am hoping. :D

There are 2 on there now & one that ended this morning for $61 & 2 others there that ended in the last 3 days, one for $49 & one for $26, but it looked like the lock was messed up. It might just have been bad pictures.

It seems like suddenly there are a bunch of them. 5 in one week is more than I have ever seen on there before.

I hope you get a good price for yours, if you are trying to sell it,
Dale

hammerdownnow
08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
On that stress crack. I was reading an interview with the owner of an American production company. (I could dig it up) it was a real old knife world mag I think. He was talking about walking thu the warehouse and hearing a symphony of the 1095 back springs in the slipjoints cracking. He said he did not worry about it. They would just ship them, then deal with with it when they were returned. My girlfriends mother works for a bearing company and they do the same thing. Send out parts they know are bad and wait to deal with them when and IF they are returned. She cannot handle it and is looking for another job. I wonder if this is common practice?

Don Robinson
08-21-2006, 05:39 PM
A factory made knife??

Paul, you oughtta be ashamed. :D