View Full Version : elk antler scales

bearbutte
06-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Anyone know if elk antler scales are worth anything to sell? I have some antlers that I'd like to cut up, but want to know what the best way to do it would be. Are elk antler scales sturdy enough for a hard use knife? What would be the best dimensions for scales? Thanks.

-Dave

KandS_KNIVES
06-14-2002, 07:48 AM
I have never used elk scales, but really like elk for hidden tang and squirrel tang construction. Prefer aged horns, as the marrow in elk is large and the bark is thin.

Mike Hull
06-15-2002, 12:28 AM
I would imagine, that with the embargo on Sambar Stag, that there will be a bigger market for all types of antler. Elk is used by many makers, it seems tough. Like Ken said, it's gotta be dry(aged).

David Peterson
06-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I started cutting up some antlers, and they feel sturdy enough. I'm trying the scale cutting, but the angles are very hard to judge. I have some in the vacuum chamber too, to see if they will stabilize well. I'm going to post another message to see if anyone will trade me for some steel. I'm new at this knifemaking thing, and want to get some raw materials without having to pay out the ears. Fortunately, I live in elk country, and pick up sheds every time I go hiking.

DiamondG Knives
06-18-2002, 06:21 PM
Hey Bearbutte:
Ive had better luck with the Elk spikes rather than Full sized racks. But I guess if you picking them up, Id take what I could get!
I was buying mine from a guy who picks them up in the Arizona High country. Finally figured out I got more useful handles per antler out of spikes than the large multi tine pieces and the spikes are cheaper! I never tried to slab them though. What are you stabilizing with? Id be interested in how they work out.

Mike

David Peterson
06-18-2002, 09:39 PM
Mike,
Maybe I'll start asking my buddies to save their spike antlers for me from now on. I personally like to shoot spike elk for the better meat, but I haven't got one since I started knifemaking. I've thrown away lots of spikes, and I'm regretting that now. The bigger elk antlers seems to have a lot of pithy areas in the center and only the outside 1/4" or so are solid. Although I'm told the brow tines of big bulls are very solid and great for hidden tang knives. I was mainly wanting scales though, because I prefer full tang knives. Just my personal preference.

The stuff I stabilize with is Acryloid B-72. I just posted a message to the Newbie area about my experience with it, if you are interested. I'm still testing, but it looks really promising. I've got some tines in the fluid now, and will pull them out tomorrow and see how deep it penetrated. I need to get some more blades made so I can use some of these elk scales and see how they hold up. I'm thinking they will be great after stabilizing.

Geno
06-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Hello Dave,
I have used just about any kind of antler you can imagine.
Yes you can stabilize it.
Yes it can be slabbed, ect...
There is very little left to waiste when done properly.
It is a little soft for handles untill it is stabilized. The bark is often some of the most beautiful grains around.
If you want to trade for some cable damascus blades, blanks, or billets, let me know, or if you want to learn more about prepairing it for handle material also.
E mail me,OK?
I want some.

allan lanigan
06-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Another twist on elk antlers,I was given a couple of old cracked ,bleached out antlers and was going to throw them away but brought them into the shop did some rough sanding on them and found they started to look like mammoth ivory,I dyed them and the dye soaked into the cracks,really started to look like mammoth,coated them with several applications of super glue and polished. Really looked cool ....

KandS_KNIVES
07-16-2002, 06:20 AM
Elk is one of my favorites and I would be interested in trading for some scales, if aged and stabilized.
Ken (wwjd)

kandsbeatty@prodigy.net