View Full Version : generous Ron Claiborne

Cadillac Forge
12-14-2004, 06:45 AM
just a few days ago i inquired here about info on purchasing a forge press got a lot of
reponse and many pms most everyone recomends rons press for quality and customer
service, sunday ron called me at home we spoke for about an hour and was a wealth of
info -not just selling his machine-but helping me decide on the proper machine for my uses, even recomending others. but stressing saftey and knowlede of proper useage is
the key to enjoyment. he wants to train a new owner how to use it. that impressed me
and i made my decission to be the next to place my order with him and join the club.
he also mentioned loosing his computer and all pics, so i am searching the net for any and all info and pics online so he can have easy retrival it would be nice if other owners include pics here and lets see some action shots. i am pumped and cant wait to take
delivery thanks ron

fitzo
12-14-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't own it, Diamond G does, but I believe this is "#1":

DiamondG Knives
12-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Aint she a Beauty!!!!

Yes Your right as usual Mr Fitz, thats #001, and Im proud as can be to say I am the owner!
Just wish I could get home to use it more!!

For anyone considering a press, I cannot say enough on how versital a tool it is for the knife maker. Not just for damascus, but for everyday straight steels. I wish I could have seen more from the Tenn Gang that from what I hear can forge a blade on the press, and never spill their beer! And again, Mr Claiborn builds one fine machine, and a Man I proudly call my friend.

God Bless
Mike

Ron Claiborne
12-16-2004, 07:06 PM
veyFirst thanks for helping me get back some of my pictures and thanks for all the kind words .
and very proud you chose one of my machins thanks .
i have done some looking back in a few threads and found some im not sure that the link works but ill give it a try. if it does ill post more as i find them
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20563

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23022
this is a the press that parted Larry kemps hear greg covingtons press that was a great day we had so much fun

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134725&postcount=39

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161949&postcount=1
that old fat boy in the chair is some old bum that comes around we feed at times he llike sweeping the shop lol and hanging out from the law
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142870&postcount=1
this is kevin Davey`s press he is doing great thing s,and fun to be around .hes not afraid to to try new was to do things.
Im sure they are more pictures out there some place i had 100 or more i lost Paul Harms pictures i cant find and others
but pictures are fun to look at ,but friends are peace to the heart im a lucky guy for sure thanks all of you for your trust and helping me have fun along the way i count you all my friends Marry Christmas and am looking forward serving you in the next year

fitzo
12-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Hey, old man :) , I've got about a dozen more fotos of presses in various stages of manufacture. I'll shoot 'em to you Sunday night if yer in Paltalk, my friend.

paul harm
01-22-2005, 12:19 PM
i spent 3 or 4 days at rons when i got my press - it was the best thing a new owner can do . he'll show you so much - wish i would have stayed longer . can't post pictures yet with this new PC - sorry . paul

tonn
01-23-2005, 09:55 AM
There is much talk about presses. Looks like everybody use a press for damascus. I never used one. Is it so much better than a powerhammer?

paul harm
01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
IMO , there is so much more a press can do that i feel is easier than useing a hammer . to make intergals [ sp ? ] it's easier to be accurate and a snap to do , and when you make damascus it welds from the inside first instead of from the outside . as larry hartly said , if you can make damascus with a hammer , this is a no brainer . it seems like i can make a billet about 3 times quicker - but then i only have a 35# power hammer . if you want a 1/4 " billet , when it gets close just lay a 1/4 " piece of stock next to the billet and the press will stop at a 1/4 " . i have a rolling mill , power hammer , and a press ; and if i was to keep one it would be rons press , hands down . he makes a great machine at the about the same cost of the other two . haven't had any problems with it . paul

tonn
01-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Thank you, Paul!
I see a benefits in making accurate forming.
OK - You have a small hammer but what about a 80kg air hammer versus press? Does it make a sense to build a press (can't order from Ron- shipping will cost more than a press:()?

jonwelder
01-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I built my hydro press back in 1980, I never dreamed I'd be using it to make damascus now! Nothing special about it, although Ron's press has all the "bugs" worked out for forging! The thing to remember when you make it, a large cilinder will give you lots of power, but you loose time waiting for the press to "stroke",,, hence the billet cools, a smaller diameter cilinder strokes fast, but you loose force, (tonage) a 5"-6" cilinder is a good trade-off. The real trick in hydro-press forging are the "dies",, the part that really does the forming, (drawing-out,, flatening, welding,ect) of the steel. Ron really has this figured out, using a "quick-change" style of mounting.. Pay close attention to the pictures of dies and how they mount, and try to make something simple like his. My hydro cilinder is connected to a 3" dia. ram that slides in a sleeve, this keeps the cilinder "rod" from bending when in use, then I use a 3" pipe collar with a set-screw to attach my dies. Please also realize my press was made to do everything in a welding-fab shop, it's way bigger than it needs to be for making damascus! Look around, even in Estonia I'll bet you can build/convert something that would crush hot steel!!! My 2 cents,,, I have some pictures of mine, if you'r interested........jon

tonn
01-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Thank You Jon!
I allready looked out for some stuff and consulted with people but still not decided to build.
I'v been working with air hammers since beginning in 1987 and don't know should I spend time to build a press ( i'm not a great builder too :o )
Pictures are allways wellcom. You can send them to my e-mail or post here - there may be other people interested.

My e-mail is:
tonu@arrak.ee

hammerdownnow
01-27-2005, 02:10 AM
I gather that a big advatage in a press is to maintain the integrity of a pattern. Low distortion in mosaics, help hold the pattern in the original shape. The closer you can hold the pattern to true, the closer you can get to your artistic vision in the end.

LongRifle
02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
I've been strongly considering a press, my fiancee gave me the OK...so it's time to get the ball rolling :). I have a couple questions; Does the press require 220 volt? And how much does it weigh? I'm just thinking about getting the thing out of/into the truck. Thanks for the help guys.

Matt

Ron Claiborne
02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Matt Hello
The press takes 220 power it runs on a 5 hp at 3500 rpm to drive a 11 gpm 2 stage pump

it weighs 1100 lbs complete counting dies and all , it can be loaded in a pickup truck and unloaded with two people with ease
if you are thinking of one of my machines feel free to call me or send me your number ill call you and let you know details hope I can be of service to you
Bowie 4 days Damascus free
my shop number is 865 660 1569 \house after 5:-- 865- 524 2054

DiamondG Knives
02-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Matt:
I was able to unload mine by myself using a jack type motor lift, like you would use to pull a motor from a car. Just set some straps at the balance point, jacked it up a couple of inches, then drove out from under is, and rolled it to where I wanred it. They are a bit combersome for one, but for 2 men, no sweat!

If you are in the market, Id strongly reccomend Rons, I couldnt make it thru a day without mine. And now that I am learning to make specialty dies, and learning to forge under mine, it is even more versitle than before, and thats saying somthing!!!

Also, if Ron has the time available, and offers to "show you how to use his press" let him!!!Although I personally think it is just an excuse for him to get to play with damascus, I learned VOLUMES by working with him for a day or so!! :)

God Bless
Mike

LongRifle
02-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Thank you very much for the help guys. Ron, I 'll give you a call.

Matt