View Full Version : Blade Show Report

dogman
06-11-2001, 02:49 PM
I have nothing to report, I was stuck behind my table all weekend:)

Actually, I did manage to get out just a little bit, but not as much as I wanted to. In my general vicinity, I was sitting next to Roy Helton. He makes fantastic folders and we had a good time chatting all weekend. I also picked up a few tips. Behind me was Brad Duncan who is a hot new folder maker. He generated a lot of interest with the magazines and the purveyors. Always a good sign.

I was in the back, so it was interesting to see the glazed look in peoples eyes as they finally made it back there. Sensory overload.

I got a chance to meet all of our regulars that made it to the show. Brett Bennett brought one of his fine knives. Very clean and well executed. Neil Charity was doing pretty well with his kangaroo change pouches. I will let you use your imagination as to what the "pouches" were made of. I picked up a few pieces of Ringed Gidgee wood from him. It is some beautiful wood. Can't wait to use some. Don Cowles was sporting the biggest smile of the show on Sunday after A.G. Russell came by and bought out his table for the cover knives on the Cutting Edge magazine. Congrats, Don. Anders Johannson visited me at my table and I regret I didn't get a chance to stop by his table and see his knives. I heard he did very well and had a worthwhile trip from Europe. Thanks for the wood:) Jason Howell had a table full of gorgeous folders, but I have to admit my favorite knife on his table was the damascus bowie with the stag handle. I did some major socialization with Rob Simonich. The man is full of knife innovations and about as down to earth as they come. I also got to meet Jeff Jenness and see Terrill Hoffman again and I am sure I am missing someone else, so I apologize if I forgot to add your name.

With what little roaming I did, I mainly stopped at tables close to the aisle that leads to the bathroom. A new maker named Patrick Nihiser is making some great folders. He also won best new maker. I spoke with my friend Zaza Revishvilli a few times throuout the show. He and Tim Hancock won best collaboration for a beautiful Damascus sword. Speaking of Tim, I stopped by his table and checked out a triple action folder he had there. It opened manually like a regular folder with a thumbstud or the blade opened 90 degrees to "presentation" mode if you pushed the button in or it opened like a regular auto if you slid the button backwards. Awesome. the prettiest knife I personally saw was from Kirk Rexroat. I think he also won best folder, but I am not sure. He should have, that is for sure. I met two new guys that were at their first Blade Show, just like me. One is a Texas boy named Richard Epting. Richard has a secret. He lurks here all the time:) My jaw dropped when I hit his table. Every knife a beauty and he makes his own Damascus to boot. I was truly impressed. Right next to Richard was Jason Knight. My jaw dropped for the second time in a row. Jason makes beautifully forged knives and had a very successful first show. I chatted with Ralph Turnbull for a few. Turns out he just moved down to Florida and lives not very far from me. We will definitely have a visit here in thee near future. Dan Stephan outdid himself with another beautiful carved art knife. I will post pics as soon as I get them.

Supplies are one of the things that are great about the shows and they were there aplenty. I picked up some nice woods and some mammoth bark for folder handles. I also picked up some mosaic Damascus from Robert Eggerling. I can't wait to use it on a a knife.

My only regret is that I didn't get to walk the show. I learned so much last year by walking around and talking to everyone. I am thinking I might do that again next year as I enjoy the schmoozing and learning more than selling a knife or two.

Gary Mulkey
06-11-2001, 05:24 PM
It sounds like you had quite a time. I've not been to a Blade Show but you've peaked my interest. Maybe next year.

Gary

Terrill Hoffman
06-12-2001, 06:29 AM
Bob, you forgot one big item! Your folders! For those who have not seen them, Bob has managed to carry his stlye over from fixed blades to folders. They are VERY well done and not a carbon copy of some else's work. Once I get settled back in the studio I'm going to have to talk to him about getting one for myself. I want to be able to gloat over you guys that are dragging your feet about getting one of Bob's knives.

jeffj
06-14-2001, 08:57 PM
Hey Bob,

It was good to meet you. I never did catch up with Alex. I think he was avoiding me...he kept moving his table!!! ;)

I had such a great time there and afterward spent 3 days with GenO Denning...in fact, I just got back.

I finally made the plunge and came home with a Bader III grinder. You all probably won't hear from me for a couple of months! :)

Off to the grind stone...literally!

Jeff

MIKE KOLLER
06-14-2001, 09:01 PM
Congrads Jeff on the new member of the family.

primos
06-14-2001, 09:35 PM
Alright Jeff! Congrats on the Bader.

Man, I'm glad to hear you've been at GenO's. I sent you some email a couple of days ago and when I didn't hear back I thought I'd lost a good friend -- couldn't figure out what the heck I'd done.

Gee, maybe I'm speaking to soon. I'm at work right now. Wonder if I'll have any email when I get home...

:)

dogman
06-14-2001, 09:47 PM
Jeff has the fever and there is no known cure except to make more knives...

jeffj
06-15-2001, 03:44 PM
Bob, I've been sick for a loooong time! :)

Yep, just like a new member of the family. Did all of you take your grinder to bed the first night? Ha!

Terry, did you get the letter?

Jeff

jeffj
06-15-2001, 03:44 PM
Ooops...double post. This is a first. I did it because the forums are sooo slow. Does anyone know why?

Jeff

primos
06-15-2001, 03:47 PM
Jeff,
Yep, I got it. I feel much better now. :)

dogman
06-15-2001, 04:20 PM
Just don't try to kiss your grinder when it is running:lol:

Brad Duncan
07-11-2001, 08:17 PM
m

Brad Duncan
07-11-2001, 08:22 PM
I have to say that Bob Dogget make one of the cleanest knives I had a chance to look at.You would think he is a Veteran.He is a hell of a nice guy and we had good talk all weekend.