View Full Version : Dragon Figher

AbelKnives
10-22-2001, 11:00 AM
This lil' one is my newest blade its pretty small but it has good balance(right behind the blade) and is the first knife i have scrimshawed myself. please tell me what you think!

view it here
dreamwater.org/biz/abelknives/art_knives.htm (http://dreamwater.org/biz/abelknives/art_knives.htm)
thanks for your time! ;)

AbelKnives
10-23-2001, 04:09 PM
what do you think? please tell me

Don Cowles
10-23-2001, 04:55 PM
It's a worthy early effort. Like most of us, you probably want to start out with a museum piece, and of course, it doesn't work that way. If you keep practicing, a day will come when you will ask yourself why you were in such a hurry.

The scrimshaw, at your current skill level, does not add to the attractiveness of the piece. Keep at it, though!

AbelKnives
10-23-2001, 07:51 PM
yeah its looks better in real life but i really appreciate your comments it helps me get better, it is also nice to know that people will tell me what they really think of it instead of just saying "that great"
thanks again,
michael.
don't worry about saying what you think of with me, I will never get offended

Coop747
10-23-2001, 09:23 PM
Michael,

Give us a little bit of info about yourself. You are new at knifemaking. Are you young? I'm pleased to see you excited about your craft. It shows with your enthusiasm.

Yeah, I've seen even better scrimshaw and knives out there. But you're miles ahead of me--who hasn't made a single blade! :) Good work.

Be well,

Coop

ERIC ELSON
10-23-2001, 10:12 PM
As Don sasid a very admirable effort,

My advice is to Concentrate on the basic fit and finish of the knife, and practice the scrim seperately, once you have each skill under your belt Mating the two will become more natural.

That said I am very impressed with the Scrim, It is not something I have ventured into, so my hat goes off to you!!

keep up the effort and good work,
If you ever want to talk knives etc. feel free to drop me a line at
ericelson@hotmail.com

best regards
Eric

AbelKnives
10-24-2001, 11:39 AM
All right here is some info on myself i am 14 years old. I have been making knives for a year now, and i live in Devon, Alberta just outside Edmonton. The dragon fighter is an ok knife, i have made better. it was rushed and the scrim was my second attempt at real scrimshaw I really love making knives. my first knife was a copper machete :) ha ha
needless to say i love to make knives (if you hadent' guessed by now) and I have the best job, i work as a goldsmith's assistant. if you want any more info contact me!

ERIC ELSON
10-24-2001, 08:10 PM
All right!! another young canadian Knifemaker.....I did't realize you were as young as you are......thats great!!
Keep posting, I cant wait to see your work evolve.

Regards

Eric

AbelKnives
10-24-2001, 09:27 PM
I can't wait to see it evolve either