View Full Version : Sgian-Dirk Handle Weaves

Nathan Taylor
05-19-2003, 10:42 PM
I figure this is the best place to ask considering the people who I saw post & moderate this forum. I have been making scottish blades for awhile, however my handles have been plain without the traditional knotwork of victorian sgians and 45' dirks. Where is there a good source or reference on such patterns? And what is your advise on learning this type of work? Thanks!

Chuck Burrows
05-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Click the following link:
http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/dirk-book/dirks-page1.html

Fox Creek
05-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Yup, Wild Rose has made available a great resource. It's mainly a matter of looking at the photos of old work, and good new work. It would be great if someone would publish a little book of line drawings of patterns. There are no standard patterns really, just general styles, and lots of variation in the old work. It's a lot of fun developing the patterns and learning to carve them. I am just starting to "get a handle on it!":D PUN WARNING!!!:rolleyes:

sjaqua
05-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Actually I think Dover Books has a book on Scottish patterns that includes some from Knife handles. After Dover Books have patterns for everything. If nothing else they would have patterns from at least the correct time and place.

Nathan Taylor
05-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all of your imput, it has been most helpful. I can't wait to get out to the shop and start working. Thanks Again!
Nathan

Chuck Burrows
05-22-2003, 09:41 AM
There are also several websites (mostly SCA - do a google search) that have tutorials on designing Celtic knotwork although they are not knife specific.