View Full Version : texturing sambar stag

Bruce Bump
05-12-2003, 10:04 AM
I would like some opinions here on retexturing genuine stag. I have a nice set of scales with a so-so pattern but am thinking about grinding in a better or at least a more uniform pattern. I dont think I can play God here but do you think stag should be tampered with at all? I see some of the original Sheffield slabs were redone or enhanced.

How and what tools should be used and should I try to sand out any and all tool marks to make them look natural?

OutWest
05-12-2003, 05:28 PM
I don't see stag as an un-touchable material, some of it is very good, some is not and could use a little help.

The past year I have recut a few marginal slabs and they look good and sell well. They are graded and priced for what they are, just as with hardwoods or gemstones.

I use silicon carbide 3/16x1/2" points since they wear to a perfect shape after bolt contour work and don't leave tool marks like burrs. Use dental scrapers & sandpaper to touch up any necessary spots after.

Others may have a purist view, but people 'enhance' a lot of material via cut, glue, stamp, file, carve, color, bleach, heat, stain, polish, dye, wax, oil, varnish, and hardeners, without a second thought.

Chuck Burrows
05-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Bruce as an option why not polish and "age" the stag. Looks kind of like old ivory.

Here are a couple of toothpick grips that I did that too. Not the best pictures unfortunately.

http://wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/toothpicks/afink-001.jpg

http://wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/toothpicks/holland-001.jpg

Don Cowles
05-13-2003, 06:02 AM
Bruce, this is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

If you think the stag *NEEDS* to be improved, I would not put it on one of your fine knives.

Bruce Bump
05-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I just wish I could find the pesentation quality stag like in the "good ol days". Im digging in the bottom of the barrel and actually thinking about useing these scales for Mastersmith judged knives. If I could pull it off they may be a real head turner. I bet there are lots of scales left that could be used if this works. I may take Dons advice though and play it safe this time around.

Chuck Burrows
05-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Bruce if you are suing for your Master smith I think I'd go with Don's advice. That is good advice all the way around actually.

Have you taken a look at some of the red stag that is available? I've had some on knives coming through the shop recently that was dynamite! Also I think Elenhunting posted a little while ago he had some good quality sambar and from the pictures it looked nice.

Any way best wishes for your test. Go get em!

santino
05-29-2003, 10:19 AM
I have done some business with them and found they are great to deal with never had any complaints the red stag is good in my opinion thanks just my 2 cents

whv
06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
welcome to ckdf, santino.
bruce - elenhunting just posted a thread in the supply center that they are cutting tapers and slabs of knobby stag. looks like it may be useful with a bit of dying. best of luck with your ms test.

Bruce Bump
06-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Well Im back from Blade with my Master Stamp. As usual I didnt take your advice and play it safe. In stead I jigged the stag and used it. Coloring it dark was the hardest part. It just didnt want to darken up and where it did was blotchy. Finally used potassium permanganate (spelling?) and it came out more uniform in dark brown. Anyway the judges gave it the nod! Wish I could post a pic, dont know how.

Don Cowles
06-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Glad it worked out for you, Bruce, and congratulations on your MS! If you want to email me the pic, I will be glad to post it for you.

OutWest
06-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Bruce,

Congrats on your MS stamp and pushing the limits of traditional handle material with Stag (Sambar?)

Potassium Permanganate ((yep, the sp.!) works the best and is easier to control over various dyes & stuff others have suggested, for me anyway!)) Some of the dyes and other colorants mentioned by others have frankly failed for me, and created Stag that is VERY marginal and resistive to sales. Sambar is curently about 60-75 knives yearly for me, so its' treatment, or no-treat is important. Am going to try some PP. at higher temps. and longer soaks to seek a real black and push limits. As always, my Stag is priced like woods, dyed, plastic treated, or as nature intnended (natural, gee! Thats the best!).

If you are ever visiting Colorado, let me know!

RandY