View Full Version : youngest balisong maker?

nybble
04-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Hey there, Terry Guinn's daughter Armenda has started making balisongs. She's just about to graduate high school and has just completed her first two balisongs, tang pinless at that! Very cool knives, especially for a first effort and for one so young.

<a href="http://balisongtimes.com/showMaker.mhtml?id=59">Check it out</a> - her first two are listed at the bottom.

twekermaggio
04-23-2003, 10:09 PM
im 15 and am in the process of making a bali (not anywhere near as nice as hers) however i am finding i lack the tools needed.:(

nybble
04-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Hey tm, yeah, I suspect it helps to have a father with the whole kit and kaboodle. :) Do you have any tools? I'm going to eventually be trying to get some howto type articles up that span the gamut of available tools. We'll see.. got your typhoon on order? :)

twekermaggio
04-26-2003, 04:48 PM
i got a bunch of crap tools. cutting torch, grinding weel, angle grinder, drill, nails for pivots, and some scrap metal.
not much of a shop huh :)
and for the typhoon im still waiting :(
i think the how to artical would be great :)

kenster
04-27-2003, 12:57 AM
im 15 and just started mine 2 days ago. i only have a grinder (with the stone)and a drill :( . so im using mild steel, a hacksaw, a file, and a hammer.
cutting torch
I HATE YOU:D :D :p

i would KILL for a torch. unfortunately i couldnt afford the cost of getting one or the gas to keep it running. what are you using? acetylene or hydrogen?

ExamonLyf
04-27-2003, 03:02 AM
LOL..., be careful you guys.., if you think manipulating Balisongs has hazzards.., they are NOTHING compared to power tools...:(

nybble
04-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Yeah be careful!

TM - #### - that's a lot of tools! I've got a dremel tool. :) Good luck with that - if you have an specific questions post them! In the meantime I will try and see about that howto.

twekermaggio
04-28-2003, 10:58 PM
i use acetylene now but i was talking to a blacksmith (an old timer with alot of experiance) and he showed me how to make a propane oven that will heat a piece of metal red hot in about 20 seconds. he also showed me how to make an anvil.
i guess when this guy was first starting out he built all his tools.

i think im kinda lucky since my father moved to alaska when he was 17 and worked on the pipe line so he knows more than his fair share on metal working.

kenster
05-02-2003, 03:31 PM
the propane forge and the anvil sound interesting, could you describe the process for making each one please? thanks:)

twekermaggio
05-05-2003, 11:45 PM
well the anvil is easy. all u do is find a railroad tie and turn it over. the botton is flat and all u have to do is cut it to size.
i cant really explain the propane forge, id have to draw it out.

tonyccw
05-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Just received #1 from Terry, and I can say Armenda has figued out how to solve the handle flex issue with sandwich bali's: it' very hard to flex 3/16" handle scales..... :eek:

This is a brute of a bali (and I'm afraid of what the 5" version is like), and not a badly done bali at that. Exactly the type you would expect from someone just starting out. On the plus side: the blade geometry is spot on, using Terry's Zero-Tan Pin design. The latchgate is very creative doing double duty as both the end insert and the latchgate. The hollow grind is very very good. On the negative (and it's all a matter of practise) the fit and finish could be a little better (and that's really the only negative).

nybble
05-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Nice! I was meaning to buy #1, but couldn't come up with the funds - still reeling from tax time! :( But I hope to score one of hers one day soonish.