View Full Version : More on Stabilizing

Shannon Hooge
04-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi all,
Since I read some of the threads here about vacuum stabilizing of softwoods, I have done some web research and found some things of interest to pass on. Most of the epoxies and polymer/monomers used come from the marine industry (no surprise.) I found the following sites interesting.

Tapp Plastics (http://www.tapplastics.com/fiberglass/polyester_resins/index.html)

West Systems Epoxies (http://www.westsystems.com)

Some of these epoxies have pot times of up to 120 minutes, for those of us who cannot afford high end (fast) vacuum systems.

Shannon

p moore
04-30-2003, 05:51 AM
I am not sure where I heard about this. I just received my Acryloid B-72 from Conservators Emporium. Seems to be very good v/s Minwax woodhardener. I ordered the solid and disolv in acetone. First trials show promise.Dries very quickly, not tacky , and a hard surface almost like super glue. If insterested, here is a link. www.consemp.com/catalog/index.html

Tom Militano
04-30-2003, 08:24 AM
I just put some manzanita and thuya burl in my stabilizer with Acryloid B72 yesterday afternoon and it seems to be working pretty good. I wasn't sure how much of the stuff I needed to put in, so I went with half a cup in a half gallon jar. I stirred it up and it didn't seem to be desolving until after I pulled a vacumn and it all desolved. I've never stabilized either of the above woods before and I'm interested to see how the turn out.

p moore
04-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Tom;
It does take a long time to disolve, but I think that is good. Was your mix thick like milk, or was it thinner. I think I will thin mine a little more. I was also told that acetone instead of tolulene will produce a clearer finish.

Alain M-D
04-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi everybody !
I have make some stabilization test with my vacuum and Minwax
Wood hardener and Minwax poly... The results are not too bad.

On the other hand, with Wood hardener, I find that wood remains
very light, that does not seem to fill the voids completely... (and the
wood float still thereafter) The poly seem to give more weight (more
dense results) but do not raise the wood figures, that seems duller...

Acryloid B-72 seem to be interesting... Which you bought?

Catalog No. F4022-001 100%, 1 Kg $19.10
Catalog No. F4022-032 50%, quart $19.10
Catalog No. F4022-128 50%, gallon $66.20

And which is dilution in acetone (how much solution that gives after
dilution?) Is they thin enough to achive a good penetration ?

Thanks !

Alain M-D

Shannon Hooge
04-30-2003, 03:54 PM
This stuff is pretty interesting. While not a catalyzed polymer, the ease of use seems to be the really big factor. Have you done any destructive testing to see how it holds up to abuse? I would be particularly interested to see if gasoline, diesel, or kerosene would affect it, especially since these could ostensibly come into contact with the material. Thanks for the info! Now I may have to try this out!

Shannon

p moore
04-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Shannon and Alain;
I ordered the solid. 2.2Lbs. Then I mixed about two shot glasses to 16Oz of acetone. Then adjust from there. I just came in from the shop where I had two Zebrawood scales drying all day
Very impressive, Zebrawood is full of pores. 90%+ were filled.
after sanding to about 600 grit, I polished with white bar. You could use this piece for a shaving mirror. I am pleased. Shipping and all was around $26.00 and I figure there to be enough to last for years.