View Full Version : pins and magnets

nybble
03-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Well.. I just got in Terry Guinn's latest (check it out <a href="http://balisongtimes.com/reviews/showRev.mhtml?rid=268">#015</a>) and it's just fantastic. I love the magnetic latch - it makes for a very bad flipper, but it makes the balisong very quiet since there's no latch flapping around but also solid since there is a very nice lockup. Also, with the thumb grooves the way they are, when the knife is closed getting the handles apart is very easy, just press down on the "oval" and it splits. It's quite a gadgety little addictive twitch just opening and closing it.

Terry is a great maker, I really recommend getting in touch with him if you are interested in something a little out of the ordinary (or even if you aren't!). Everytime I work with him something good comes out - he's gotten me his version of the spring latch, my design with the tiny blade and integral deep riding clip and now this one. Very good stuff. :)

twekermaggio
03-27-2003, 02:53 PM
how does the magnetic latch affect airials?

nybble
03-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey there, well, actually, I'm not ballsy enough to have tried any aerials with it. The magnets sort of makes the whole thing have a diff't feel because if the handles get close together they pull closed. I have been playing around with it more and a lot of basic intermediate moves are completely doable if you remember to keep your finger in place to prevent the handles from closing. But with an aerial, I might worry that the handles would do something odd at the wrong moment.

Great balisong. :)

twekermaggio
03-28-2003, 03:09 PM
what i think might happen is when you begin the airial the handles wont fully extend befor you let go. then the momentum will make the knife fly straight forward