View Full Version : still "into" production knives?

Dennis Bible
08-03-2001, 05:16 PM
I have found that my interest in production knives has diminished since I started getting into customs. As a matter of fact I am thinking of selling off a lot of my production knives to finance the purchase of more customs.

Don't get me wrong, I still like production knives. I mean they are still knives so of course I will like them, just not nearly as much as I used to.

Is this how things typically progress?

viper5192
08-03-2001, 05:31 PM
I went that way! I know ppl who still collect both, but for the most part as I have seen once you go custom, there is NO going back ;-)

Dexter Ewing
08-03-2001, 08:51 PM
I am a nut for all knives, production and custom. But due to my work with the magazines, I get to work (play?) with the latest in production knives, so that diminishes my desire to spend money on them. Instead, I am spending most of my money on buying customs. Occasionally I will buy a production knife.....and if I do that the knife REALLY has to trip my trigger in order to do that.

It's because we desire to get something better, something more unique than factory made knives. We want to dictate how the blade or handle will be finished, we may want to tweak the size of the knife. Buying custom knives (assuming directly from the maker) we can do this easily. It's the desire to own something sort of unique. And there is the obvious quality that sets factory and custom apart. Custom has more hand finishing, more labor intensive processes that production companies cannot afford to do. Little details like this really make a good knife a great knife and therefore we gravitate towards the finer things in life :)

And no doubt, forums like this one are also the blame too! LOL. The more info we learn the more educated we become. And so forth.....

viper5192
08-03-2001, 08:56 PM
Then what do you think about the custom collabs a lot of big names are doing??

Dennis Bible
08-04-2001, 09:42 AM
The custom collaborations are among my favorites in the production line up. They help makers by getting their designs seen. They help knifenuts who can't afford a "real" custom but like the design. They also help the knife companies. I think the custom collaborations help everyone.

Of course there is nothing like the real thing.

viper5192
08-04-2001, 09:54 AM
I won't argue with that.

Dexter Ewing
08-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Paul - custom collaborations are good for both production knives and custom knives. The production company gets to benefit from the knowledge, expertise, and experience of the knifemaker(s) they are working with. In turn, the makers get their name out into another sector of the knife market, to some folks who probably never would purchase a custom knife because the prices may seem too high for them. Collaboration knives are more unique than in-house designed production knives in looks, function, and performance.

Take for instance Darrel Ralph. Camillus Cutlery recently released his EDC folder in Talonite?. Even I am standing in line to get one of these! :) It is the second custom collaboration production folder on the market with this blade material. Though it is still expensive for a production knife, but when you compare prices for a custom EDC with Talonite? (not to mention wait times) you will see that it is a fraction of the cost. Is it worth it? That's up to the buyer to decide. Obviously there isn't the prestige and the thrill of owning a genuine Ralph made EDC with Talonite?, but if an inexpensive (relatively speaking in comparison with the custom version) folder with this blade material is what folks want, then they will psring for it.

Basically, custom collaboration knives offer the "average Joe" an opportunity to own a custom design. Many times, owning a custom collaboration knife will lead to eventually purchasing the full blown custom version. Custom collaborations are a two way street.

edmoses
08-04-2001, 01:09 PM
I have sold off most of my production knives over the last year, since I got into customs. The only productions I still own are a SAK and a couple that have strong memories attached.

I have no plans to buy any production knives in the future - they are jsut not the same. On the subject of waiting, that is part of the fun. I had a note from DDR this week to say that I will get my EDC Talonite in the next couple of weeks,

Regards,

Ed

Roger Gregory
08-04-2001, 01:32 PM
Like Ed, I am in the process of disposing of my production knives and replacing them with customs.

I commissioned my first custom knife about 12 years ago and then my second at the beginning of last year. Since then I have bought probably too many knives and I'll buy more.

I probably won't buy any more production knives except SAKs and Opinels. If I find the right maker I'll even have my kitchen knives made for me in future.

Until I am good enough to forge all my own blades of course :lol:

Roger

viper5192
08-04-2001, 05:03 PM
Ed you lucky dog! Post the EDC in Display when you get it please!

Roger, we can only hope you will soon be a true forger (in the good sense of the word) you know where to go when you do ;-)

Dexter Ewing
08-04-2001, 09:31 PM
Ed - cool, you're getting one of the 10 too! I'm on the list for one as well, and I got the same email from Darrel. I can't wait!!!

CKDadmin
08-04-2001, 10:45 PM
I spent about an hour talking to Darrel on the phone Friday. Man, talk about a guy with some kinda talent ... man, his designs rock!

I think the natural progression for knife lovers / collectors is to move out of productions and eventually into customs. It's like the difference in buying pictures from Walmart for your 1st home, as opposed to buying originals for your latter homes. Your tastes and pockets become more refined.

In another vein ... you also learn that most customs will cost you more, but you get to own them for free, because the value is maintained by the shear rarity of the item.

Alex

viper5192
08-04-2001, 11:32 PM
Speaking of value retention. . . . I am amazes and shocked at times by what people sell their knives for. I mean if the knife was worth $400.00 will it be worth $200.00 at a later time? When I see someone sell a great knife for a fraction of it worth it makes me scratch my head and wonder.

Les Robertson
08-05-2001, 12:53 PM
Dexter hit the nail on the head in regards to collaborations.

I feel these collaborations move collectors up the ladder much quicker than it did 10 years ago.

I sell 3-5 knives a month to those who used to buy/collect factory knives.

Remember, friends don't let friends by factory knives.

Paul,

The reality of the aftermarket is where collectors pay the most for their edcuation. A great knife in the primary market is not always a great knife in the aftermarket.

Collector's who are taking this kind of loss are not doing their homework prior to their purchases. When myself, Bob Neal and Jerry Schroder did our seminar at the Blade Show, a lot of people had their eyes opened.

Once you know a knife will not hold it's value in the aftermarket, why would you by that knife or a knife from that maker?

How do you find out what is and what is not a viable commodity in the aftermarket? Check out the sites where custom knvies are sold and see what they are selling for.

It's not rocket science!

JamieK
08-05-2001, 07:37 PM
Ed and Dex, that is great news that the Talonite EDC's are coming out soon. Darrel emailed me that he was starting these. I guess that the 10 forged 52100 EDC's are next on his list. You boys can have your Talonite, give me the forged 52100 any day :D I don't think I have ever been as anxious to receive a knife.

As far as production knives go, I still like them. I don't find myself lusting after them as much any more, but they definitely have their place. Aside from the SAK's, Opinels, cheap machete's and the like, the only production blades I have anymore are 2 Spydies (Starmate and large Wegner), 2 BM's (710 in M2 and a 940), a couple LCC's (standard and Tactical) and a couple Sebbies (large plain and damascus wood inlay). These knives are simply too good not to own IMO.

Tmac001
08-06-2001, 11:23 AM
This year I have started the transformation from production to custom. There's just not too many production knives that really catch my eye anymore. I just boxed up some of my production knives for sale in order to fund some of my customs I have on order (Ralph, Mayo, Anso, Diotte, Dobruski). I will still hang on to my wood inlay Sebenza, Speedtech Synergy and some Spydies. But it's full steam ahead looking at all the custom knife websites looking for new acquisitions.

If you would have told me a couple years ago that I would have, carry and use knives that were more $$ than my pistols I'd told you that you were crazy. Funny how perspective changes.

Take care,
Tom

JerryO13
08-06-2001, 11:56 AM
I still like productions. There I said it. Still there are few that I would buy. My last production knife purchase was a SAK :) but I have a BM 940 and Microtech LCC that I lug around once in a while (mostly when I fear the loss of a custom knife) and I picked up a semi-custom William Henry Lancet in Carbon Fiber for my airport carry needs. Depends on my work there, I carry the WH if I have to go through metal detectors (I coin tray it) and my Lum Chinese Folder otherwise.

like other people mentioned a custom collaberation Wayne Goddard Spydie was my first step toward customs. Then a Pardue BM. I felt the the custom collab knives have more flavor to them. Customs were very close after that.

dePaul
08-09-2001, 01:25 AM
I like both productions and customs. As a member of Spydie Club, I am able to lay my hands on the first runs and models. This makes the knives IMO more desirable.

I would like to start collecting customs as well. However, this seemes more complicated. Some advice how to start such a collection?? http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/ashamed.gif

Dexter Ewing
08-09-2001, 05:18 AM
dePaul - the best way to start is to buy what you like :) Keep a watch over the knife discussion forums such as this one. Pay attention to the makers who folks are talking about. Generally speaking, those are the ones that are popular. Also visit on-line knife purveyors to peruse their inventory and see what trips your trigger. These on-line purveyors are the best to buy from in terms of getting your purchase within a few days instead of waiting in line when you order directly from the maker. IT'll also help to attend a knife show that has custom knives so you can actually handle and personally inspect the knives. Hope this helps you get off to a good start.

ansoknives
08-09-2001, 12:06 PM
I simply just like knives!..I have never been into buying alot of knives ..only a few SAK?s and Opinel.....but recently I bought a discontinued Spyderco/Terzuola knife that I now carry...I like it.

dePaul
08-10-2001, 04:12 AM
for your valuable help. Now, I have just one (pleasant) problem; to choose a maker :) as there are several to my liking.
BTW, the TTKK by Trace Rinaldi is my present desire..

BOB28
08-10-2001, 06:42 AM
I don't buy them anymore. Now that I am really into knifemaking I don't have a need to buy production. Also I can't bring myself to pay the prices they are wanting nowadays. Not when you can buy a good custom fixed blade for what some of the manufactureres are wanting for their's. It's rediculous!:rolleyes:

KWM
08-17-2001, 06:19 PM
It sure did for me Dennis. I sold most my production knives so that I could buy another custom. I still like to look at the production knives, but am no longer buying any.

The interaction with the maker is as much a reason for my love of custom knives as the knives themselves. There are some really great people involved in the custom knife industry. I do not get this with production knives. Not that there isn't great people in that part of the industry as well, it's just that I don't seem to have much interaction with th.em

Dexter Ewing
08-17-2001, 07:28 PM
Keith is right on the mark with the comments about customer's interactions with knifemakers. For me, this is a big sticking point on whether or not I buy a knife from a maker. I don't care if he makes great knives, but if the maker is a total a**hole, I will pass his knife on up. We surely are very fortunate to surround ourselves with so many great makers who are equally great, kind hearted folks. Its part of what makes buying custom knives so much fun.

Darrel Ralph
08-18-2001, 06:59 PM
In my opinion all knives of any kind are warm and fuzzy.
I feel that factory knives give a collector a place to start .
They also (as seen above) create steps that lead to the custom collecting for some.

As Les stated factory knives are not for everyone. But for a collector they may be the first step to a custom knife.
I also feel that factory knives are great for every day use. I dont carry the knives that I make for my 8 year olds collection. I carry my factory designs to check there performance. Also If I loose a factory knife I dont feel as bad as if I lost a 2000.00 Italian. There are situations that I like to carry custom knives.
At shows I carry them, or when going out ect. I can control what happens to them. But for everyday shop use and around the house I carry a factory.

I love em all!

Les Robertson
08-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Dexter,

You mean to say you have run into a less than pleasant maker! Please try and take into account they are "artists"! LOL

I was once interviewed by Joe Kertzman of Blade Magazine for an article on Dealers. He asked me what was the worst part for the maker in working with dealers.

I told him dealers could mis-represent the product or the maker (he is dying and this is the last knife he will make, etc.). At the end of the interview he thanked me.

I asked him aren't your going to ask me what the worst part of working with the knife makers are?

So he said "OK". I told him that if it weren't for the fact that dealers had to work with the custom knife makers this job would be much more pleseant.

I told Joe to go ahead and quote me. He chose not to. I told him I thought a lot of makers would find it funny.

I agree with you Dexter, I find it much easier to work with guys I get along with, then those I don't.

Fortunately, there is only about the average of 10% that are the unpleseant types. Same as in any industry.

Here is a trick to make even the biggest pain in the ass smile. Pull out $100 bills and buy something from them!

Bob and I used to do this years ago with some of those pain in the assess. One of us would put down several thousand dollars on the makers table. Then the other would run up and talk about a better deal from a guy that wasn't such a Pr**k.

Then the other would pick up several thousand in cash and walk off to another makers table.

It has been a while since we have done that. Seems since we came out with the LDC series we don't get to much of that "Dealers are scum" attitude anymore.

See you in WS.

Les

Dexter Ewing
08-21-2001, 10:20 AM
Time for lock down!