View Full Version : G-10 handles

T. Hendrickson
03-11-2003, 10:39 AM
I am considering using some G10 handle material but I am not familiar with it's properties. Can anyone tell me about it, how to work it, finish it, etc? Thank you all

Don Cowles
03-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Treat it just like micarta. The fabric in the matrix is fiberglas instead of canvas or linen.

srjknives
03-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the question, and, the answer.

Jason Cutter
03-14-2003, 12:38 AM
G-10 is a little different from Micarta in that the fabric is fibreglass ie.- very hard, the resin is epoxy - a bit softer. Micarta has a fabric weave of cotton, linen / canvas and a resin (phenolic) which is actually quite hard. It is easier to get a "flat" surface finish with Micarta, while on G-10 you tend to get the underlying weave show up more because the epoxy filler wears down a bit quicker. The trick is to use a HARD backing for sanding only till the final stages of finishing. If you do the hard work and go up through 1200 and 1500grits in abrasives, and then buff with a white compound - G-10 polishes beautifully - literally like glass.

The glass fibre wears down tools a lot quicker than Micarta. I mean QUICK. The only thing worse is maybe carbon fibre and titanium ! Use a bimetal blade to cut on the bandsaw and clean the flaky crap that forms on the bandsaw blade. Stick a piece of wood again the blade and the flakes will fall off. I don't need to tell you to wear a good respirator or have EXCELLENT exhaust systems going. Many also find the glass fibre particles quite irritant (I do) so wear a long sleeve shirt as well.

G10 is top stuff and Texas Knifemakers Supply have it listed as Tex-Tuff in some funky colours too. Masecraft also have a number of unusual colours. You can see some of the results - blue G10, Burgundy Tex-Tuff, light green G-10, on my website http://www.jcbknives.com

Cheers. Jason.

srjknives
03-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Jason,

When I click your web address at the bottom of your post it goes to "Redskin Racing." Is that you? No mention of knives or G-10...?

Just thought you might like to know, but maybe that's the way it is supposed to be?

Best,

Steve

dogman
03-14-2003, 12:59 PM
There is a period at the end of his link, that is what is sending you to the wrong site. Just checked it out:)

Terry Primos
03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Dogman nailed it. I just fixed it for him.

Steve
03-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Sounds too itchy to me!!!

Jason Cutter
03-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Too excited when I type, I keep putting that period at the end of my wed address. Fixed it now, but have to watch out for next time.

I used to get this weird, mysterious itch on my forearms after working some handles and I couldn't work it out until one of the previous threads about G-10 talked about the itch problem.

I understand the problem can be serious as the fibreglass particles get caught under the skin and result in an ongoing rash - not severe but irritating.

But given that I now wear head to toe cover when grinding, its not a problem, but remember to vacuum the whole work area afterwards. I don't think its a specific problem with G10. Same precautions apply to bone, MOP, Micarta, horn etc. I thinks thats everything ...

Cheers. Jason.