View Full Version : High heat during grinding

Lonny H.
03-08-2003, 12:39 PM
When rough grinding am I doing damage to the steel by getting to hot? This is before heat treat. For example, is it buring some of the carbon?

Jamey Saunders
03-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I don't think you are doing any real damage to the steel, but you do want to keep it as cool as possible. This is where a variable speed grinder really shines. You should also keep a bucket of water near your grinder and dunk your blade in every couple of passes. You won't really damage your blade, but you can work harden it.

Ansoknives
03-09-2003, 05:12 AM
when your blade gets too hot while grinding you put strees into the blade...this will cause the blade to warp in heattreat....steel is not ruined or anything...it can take it...but your knives will go bananana style....

paul harm
03-09-2003, 09:41 AM
watched a fellow push so hard and fast that the blade turned a dull red. don't think he anneled before h.t. but not sure. it was 440c. to each their own- me, i go slow. paul

wrathlord
03-09-2003, 10:49 AM
cold cold cold,keep it cold, it is possible to "burn" the steel,people will argue this,but the alloys in steel have definate ceilings on critical temps,temps that can literally evaporate the elements from the surface.What is the point of a high alloy steel,if while overheated during the grinding, the important alloys are burried beneath the steels surface? These temps can be achieved during grinding,and only a few seconds are needed to irreversably damage the steel.Look at it this way,did you ever hear from a maker or manufacturer that the steel being used was overheated while grinding out the blade,not a very good selling point.