View Full Version : Knife Expo 03

sjaqua
02-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Over the weekend I attended Knife Expo 03 in Buena Park, Ca. This show is hosted each year by Southern California Blades and the California Knife Makers organizations.

While I was at the show I saw a number of historical inspired blades. This appears to be a trend the is on the rise. When I spoke to the makers on these blades, I made a point of telling them about this forum. So with a little luck we should see some new members.

Roger Gregory
02-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Scott, what were the main themes in the historical knives?

Roger

sjaqua
02-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Well, the Seax was well represented, including one my wife purchased from a maker sharing the table with Jim of Twisted Nickle (I'll get the makers name tonight). There were also other Seax blades on display.

Swords were also more in attendance this year. Several pieces were entered in the Best sword contest. Plus at least one sword shown in process and a pattern weld great sword that arrived too late for judging.

I saw several tables of blades in the japanese pattern. Some traditional and some modern variations on the theme.

Several Persians and Kukri(sp) were also on display. Along with one maker producing new custom Kriss blades (picked up a new book on Javanese Kriss Swords from his table)

And in taking to makers I found a greater knowledge of historic blades being shown. In talking to makers about some of my upcoming projects, I received knowing replies and references to new sources for research (including a new book on Viking era swords, that I just ordered)

So historic inspired blades of all types seem to be making a showing.