View Full Version : Hunting pouch for Cooper Custom

MtMike
01-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Alex -- thanks for putting up "the Sheath Gallery" as a sub-forum. Another statement for CKD as the place to be in Custom Knives :D Mr Cole's little baby is growing up !!
I posted this one over on General Discussion also, as a tribute to Cooper Knives and their Veterans drawing. Thought I'd add to the Gallery too, just because this IS the Sheath gallery. Well hidden in my latest sheath is the Custom Cooper knife I won a few months ago. No special tricks here, just a solid carry pouch for a VERY solid and beautiful knife by Terry Hearn.
MtMike
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/MtMike/Cooper%20and%20Sheath.jpg

Chuck Burrows
01-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Mike that sheath is a perfect demonstration of the tenet "form follows function". Not only that but you have done it very elegantly.

Keep up the great work-
Chuck

MtMike
01-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks Chuck -- follows another old tenet too -- "As long as it's snowing like dandruff off a tall dog's back, might as well take your time and enjoy working inside". First real snow of the season --- YAAAHOO !!
Happy New Year,
Mike:)

Chuck Burrows
01-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Mike you're more than welcome. You've got the doin's!

I got to go to town tomorrow so I'm kind of glad it ain't dropping the white stuff down here (Mike lives about 200 miles north of me and that makes a huge difference in the Rockies, heck 50 miles can make a big difference at these altitudes - 6500' ASL where I live). Hope we get some soon though at least up in the high country - we need it. Water tables was mighty low last fall.

Chuck

DC KNIVES
01-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Simple yet elegant Mike, plus having a nice knife.Happy you like your snow.Haven't seen any before,but I do get cold watching it on tv.I'm surprised you guys don't get nosebleeds that high up.We are at about 10' ASL here.Keep posting pics my friend.Dave:D

Chuck Burrows
01-01-2003, 08:41 PM
But it's a DRY cold!!!!:p

Actually it is very dry here (humidity averages about 20%) and because we are so high (therefore the sun is quite intense) on a day like today with the sun out, even at 40F it's shirt sleeves unless the wind is blowing or you get in the shade.

MtMike
01-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Coldest I've been lately was getting out of the outdoor jacuzzi at my daughter's house -- in South Florida last week :D :D Chuck is absolutely right -- I was colder at her house at 60 deg than I was this morning going out to get the paper at 18 deg in the snow. Yes Dave, I did put my boots on (HAR !!)
Mike

Colin KC
01-02-2003, 04:35 AM
As Chuck says, form follows function, & a purely functional item is often more beautiful than a "dressed up" one. & that's a functional sheath:D

Sandy Morrissey
01-02-2003, 09:23 PM
You make it very difficult to critique your work, my friend. I have searched diligently to find something I could jump upon and all I have come up with is eye strain. Might as well take advantage of that situation though, so expect to hear from my attorney in the morning------- You can still enjoy the New Year busted-- That is the way I normally spend 'em-- LOL . Sandy

MtMike
01-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Well golly, just about the time I think my lifelong search for humility is starting to pay dividends, you guys come along and spoil it all !! Nothing to fear though -- the next attempt will surely kick my butt. Seriously, kind words like these coming from the best in the business mean a lot to me. My sincere thanks :) :)

And new snow in our bone-dry Rockies -- doesn't get any better than this !!
Mike

MtMike
01-10-2003, 04:46 PM
I was just surfing through some favorite sites today, and guess what !! Blades International has an article on the Cooper Veterans knife gievaways, and Terry Hearn posted this picture of MY KNIFE!! So here it is, sans sheath . It's going to Schwert for one of his braided lanyards.
See the article at http://bladesinternational.com/generalarticles/coopervets.php
Mike :)

http://bladesinternational.com/images/COOPER2-KNIFE.jpg

BoyNhisDog
01-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Nice sheath and knife Mike. It looks like the welt is only on the edge side and you folded over for the belt loop. I would like to see how you transitioned the top after that wonderful curve.

Nice work and very straight stitching!

Schwert
01-22-2003, 08:22 PM
I have Mike's knife now for some braid work. He indeed made a very nice pouch for it.

This knife is made from a substantial piece of steel, about 1/4th inch, with a deep hollow grind and a wonderfully curved and contoured micarta handle.

I will post a couple of pictures of the knife when I finish the lanyard including the back of the sheath.