View Full Version : liner material

KEITH
12-11-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm a newbie but thought I should post this in this forum instead of the newbie forum.
My question is...what material can be used for a folder liner?
Can you use brass, nickel silver, stainless steel?
I guess I'm trying to decide if I can use these materials because they might be easier to drill and tap than Ti. I've read many books and they often say that you will go thru alot of taps trying to tap the Ti. Is this true?
What do you guys think is a good material to use for someone with a lack of machining skills?
I'm looking at making a liner lock so the material would have to be able to perform this function too.
Thanks in advance!

oldgrinder
12-11-2002, 08:05 PM
Keith,
you can use Ti. for your lock and stainless steel on the opposing liner. as for tapping Ti., yes it's sorta a pain...maybe you could put your pocket clip on the opposing side(S.S)??...I have used Ti and S.S liners in one folder! :)
Oldgrinder

oldgrinder
12-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Keith,
Check-out the liner lock on my site...can be made with only tapping 2 holes and not in the Ti. for the pocket clip. The other holes are drilled for bolts.
Oldgrinder
www.blademan.org

KEITH
12-11-2002, 09:01 PM
Oldgrinder....wow, that's is a nice folder. I love the design.
So you screw thru the liners into a threaded 'nut' on the other side? I think I understand, that's a really good idea / design.
Thanks for you help and your time!
Love that truck too!:D
Keith

L6steel
12-11-2002, 09:10 PM
I don't know where you guys are buying your taps or what method of tapping you're using but tapping ti isn't any harder than tapping anything else for me. I buy medium priced taps from MSC and I use an electric skil driver with a drill chuck to turn the tap. Just use some good tapping oil and dip the tap in when you start each hole. I always blow the debris off my taps with my air hose before I put them away, too. That keeps them from corroding or rusting. I use .083 thick ti for my liner locks, but then I over build everything.

Kelly Carlson
12-11-2002, 09:35 PM
I've had no problems or broken taps since buying a tap holder/guide and not trying to hold everything in alignment manually.
I now have 0-80 taps that are still going strong after 50+ holes, while I used to break one every four or five holes in 0.040-0.050 titanium. The holders cost about $ 20-30 from Enco or Grizzly, and Bob Greenwood (spelling?) had an ad in the CKD classifieds
for his inexpensive unit, which works great.

oldgrinder
12-11-2002, 09:56 PM
That's a 10-4 to Kelly and L6S. I've only had/have to tap Ti. for my pocket clips., doing so on my new framelock....didn't have to on my linerlock..:D
Thanks, Alvin
p.s Keith(on the truck..thanks)

oldgrinder
12-11-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by KEITH
Oldgrinder....wow, that's is a nice folder. I love the design.
So you screw thru the liners into a threaded 'nut' on the other side? I think I understand, that's a really good idea / design.
Thanks for you help and your time!
Love that truck too!:D
Keith

if you want more details on the folder...email me.
oldgrinder@blademan.org

Kevin Wilkins
12-12-2002, 03:58 AM
Those good ol' Emuge Taps from MSC are the best! They are made here in Germany near N?rnberg. I called to buy from them directly and the price they quoted was more than the price from MSC! I asked why do taps you make cost more from you than to order them from a dealer in the USA and have the #### things flown back to Germany??? Then they reduced the price for me. No wonder the German economy is in the sh#thouse...

I also use a small electric screwdriver from Black and Decker to tap with. Well lubricated taps just like L6 says. Haven't broken one since!

PS Emuge makes a great thread cutting grease too.