View Full Version : False edge?

Dan Graves
09-27-2002, 12:07 PM
I have a problem with false edges. First, Is the false edge done before heat treat? In grinding the false edge I have a problem when the tip of the knife curves upward and cannot get even on both sides. Is this all done by hand?

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

Don Cowles
09-27-2002, 01:02 PM
When I do a false edge, I do it before grinding the main bevels, and I do it with a file. Obviously, this is done before heat treat. This works for me.

Tom Ferry
09-27-2002, 02:43 PM
I too, like Don Grind the false edge in before the main bevels. When done this way the main bevels seem to clean up or even up the fasle edge. Mike Hull turned me on to doing it this way and it really does work.

Dan Graves
09-28-2002, 11:42 AM
Boy is this a great place. Thanks guys. Does this mean that you dont grind at all, and that all work is done by hand?

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

Tom Ferry
09-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Dan,
I usually do them on the grinder but occasionally will file them in by hand if I am having problems. It goes pretty fast by hand or with the grinder. Either way works.

cactusforge
09-28-2002, 08:22 PM
I guess I will have to be different. I grind them in free hand after heat treating I start with a 60g, 120g. 220g and finish with a #45
Trizact. practice practice. Gib

Dan Graves
09-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Gib,

When grinding a bowie where the front of the knife curves upward, do you use the platen or the wheel?

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

cactusforge
09-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Dan, I very seldom use a platen for anything except flat grinding.
I use the wheel, when you line up the blade sight down between the wheel and blade and judge when you get the angle right, if you have dipped the blade in water to cool it off don't forget to wipe it off before grinding, you can't see through water. I also do this with out gloves, better feel and control. Gib

Dan Graves
09-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Thanks Gib,

I like the idea of doing this before the blade is ground. I have always done this as the last process before heat treat and have looked at the blade and thought, man, I dont want to take a chance on messing this up. Good advice.

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

paul harm
10-01-2002, 10:16 PM
i grind the false edge with the blade pointed straight down, not sideways the normal way you'd grind a hollow grind. saw this method from charles oches, a master bladesmith. it's the way he grinds his flat grinds- just be carefull with the tip- it's farther away and easy to get too much pressure on it. paul

Dan Graves
10-01-2002, 11:57 PM
Paul,

Your right about the point. I have tried this way and will try again. I have also ground a knife this way starting on the side, then grinding the plunge line, then refining the grind. I still have problems keeping both sides even so that part will have to be by hand. I find most things I cant do on the grinder I have to do by hand. Ive met Mr. Oches At a hammer in and he sure makes some pretty blades.

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com

cactusforge
10-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Boy am I glad that someone else grinds the way I do, knife vertical on the wheel, and to think that all these years I was the only one doing it that way. Gib

Jason Cutter
10-08-2002, 04:31 AM
Hi guys,

I like sharpened (or not) false edges but I presume you're talking about double sided grinds ? I do a number of little "fighters" with left-sided chisel-ground clips like on some of the DE Henry ?? English bowies. All this is done after heat treat and on a disc grinder. Disc grinders are awesome on hardened steel (carbon anyway). I use 80 and 180 grit discs only. Because the surface area on the clip is so small, hand sanding to a fully polished clip is very quick. I use 240, 400, 800, 1200, 1500, then hand polish with paste polishing compound using a flat piece of scrap leather. This works well for me.

I've ground the false edges in prior to heat treat and had problems with warpage, especially on the chisel ground clips. The upward sweep especially with multi-quenching doesn't bother me.

Cheers.

Dan Graves
10-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Jason,

I also have a problem with warpage and will do mine after heat treat. I like the idea of using a disc grinder. Thanks.

Dan
www.theknifemaker.com