View Full Version : "Christine's Fighter" SR Johnson Knifemaker, Barry Lee Hands Engraver

Barry Lee Hands
11-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Loveless style fighter, full integral construction,BG-42 steel, mother of pearl handles,6" blade,engraved with 24k inlay, overlay, And "Gilded Pearl" by Barry Lee Hands.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/baerzo/SRJAKI2011.jpg

Larry Peterson
11-12-2011, 07:08 PM
If I may make an observation:
This is a very beautiful piece of work! It appears, from the picture, that the handle rivets may be just a bit high of center but the artwork has been placed to form perfect symetry. This must be some skill if you can do it.

I personally do not engrave, but if I did I would try to master the skill of making everything look balanced and even like this example.. I am not criticizing the rivet placement, just making an observation.

Thank you, Larry Peterson

Steve
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I purposely put the screws a bit high. Otherwise, they "appear" to be below center.

xspook2158
11-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Barry

Although I am a Newbie or Novice in this room, I love the overall look of this knife.

May, I ask why you choose the rivet placement?

I like it the way it is, was just wondering why you choose it.

I feel if you never ask a question then you will never know.

Thanks for the picture, that is a great looking knife!!

Jim T
11-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Xspook, just to clarify, it was Steve Johnson who made the knife. Barry Lee Hands did the engraving. Beautiful peice all the way around!

Jim T

Barry Lee Hands
11-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks Jim for clarifying that.
Xspook, It is an ancient and common device to put points of interest to the eye, like a bolt or even a figure, slightly above centerline. The Greeks did it, the renaissance masters did it, even Andy Warhol did it.
Why it looks correct, I don't know, it just does.

cutromano
11-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Impressive the knife and the engraver.
Romano.

TexasJack
11-18-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't know how I missed this when it was first posted, but this is an incredible knife! It looks like something so nice that I would be afraid to touch it!

Amazing job!

Good photo, too!

Steve
11-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Someone may try to tell me that knives don't qualify as "Art." But they're wasting their breath!