View Full Version : Pin Press

SHostetler
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Steve,
I have been using a hammer to set my pins when attaching bolsters. This has been working fairly well. I saw that in your Sub Hilt video, you use a pin press. Does this do a better job? Or just more consistant? Or is it just easier? Would you consider it a "nice to have" or a"must have tool"?

On a related subject, I sand the blade and the bottom of the bolster to get them flat , but still they leave a visible line? How many pins would you suggest for a bolster? How close to the edge or the bolster/edge of the blade? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Steve Hostetler

Steve
03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
The cork belt and the pin press are two of the best things I've run across.
You have to "bump" the edge of the bolster over against the tang with a little chisel, or punch, or it is terribly hard to get =rid of that line. You'll get the line at times anyway, it seems. In my DVD I think I address that. I'll have to look it up, it's when I'm fitting the guard, just prior to soldering.

BOP01
11-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Steve; how many knife videos have you made and where can I buy them? Do you sell them? I saw the sub hilt at Jantz

Steve
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
One DVD is all. Go to any of the suppliers listed on my web site under the "Available" page: http://www.srjknives.com/avail2.htm Go to the bottom of the page for the DVD information.
I won't sell them direct anymore.

R. Yates
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Steve your Knives are exceptional I really like the Sub Hilt fighters . I have a few of them likt that and love them .

Sam

Steve
11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Thank you. They are a LOT of work, but worth it, when completed.

Gene Chapman
11-07-2012, 03:20 AM
drill press can press pins don't turn it on

Gene Chapman
11-07-2012, 05:53 AM
I have a fly press, it could squish a square pin in a round hole:rockon::rockon::rockon: