View Full Version : Drilling Damascus

Toddzio
02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I saw the pictures of the really nice knife that Rancid Crabtree posted. I was thinking about buying a blank from that company, but I like to do metal bolsters. Is drilling through Damascus any different from drilling any other piece of hardened steel? Do I need to be worried about cracking the weld where the damascus meets the regular steel?
Thanks!
-Todd

Ray Rogers
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Damascus is regular steel. It is simply a mix of two or more steels so it drills exactly the same as any other steel. When you buy damascus it is normally in the annealed state (soft) so you shape and drill as needed. After that, it should be heat treated just like the steels it is made from ...

Ron Aggus
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
The damascus blades from that particular place are already heat treated so I think you will need carbide drill bits.

Rancid Crabtree
02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Correct, You will not be able to drill through that blade with a high speed steel bit. Most any type of bit will give you grief.

Ray Rogers
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
They're right. I thought you meant a blank bar of damascus and not a pre-made blade which would be hard already. In that case, a carbide drill is the answer. Of those, the ones known as Hi-Roc Straight Flute carbide drills are the very best. They won't wander, they will drill through any thickness of metal (which the carbide spade drills will not do), and they make accurately sized holes that are so clean that no reaming is required...