View Full Version : Steve, your impression of the 08 show

rhrocker
06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Steve, now that the 2008 Blade show is history, I'd like to hear your comments about the show. Were you supprised at anything in particular at this show? How about handles and scales, Mammoth Ivory and teeth, Giraffe and Cow bone, all the others? Should we as makers consider more Damascus? Less?
Anyway, you see where this is going. I'm just interested to see if you can suggest something to get us, (or keep us) on the right track.
Who was the hottest maker? Onion? Someone else? I hear Don Hanson had a very good show.
Thanks Steve!

Steve
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
The show, to me, seemed pretty much the same as past shows. It was hard to find large, matched stag, and the price of stag is high, but that's how it goes, I guess. It was nice to find some nice ivory, mammoth is getting harder to find, it seems, again, in the larger sizes.
I'm finding that giraffe bone isn't very much in demand on my knives, how about the rest of you?

As for damascus, I can't hardly sell a damascus knife, no one is interested, perhaps because I'm known for high-polish types of knives. If you can sell them, then make them, if you like to. Whatever the market will bear, so to speak. Lots of makers sell lots of beautiful damascus blades, for sure!

As far as hottest maker, that's not for me to say. I'd ask the purveyors, those are the guys who know what's hot and what's not, I think. Just look at the makers of today: Begg, Burch, Burnley, Galyean, Hinderer, Krein, Martin, so many more - what amazing stuff they are doing! There are many more doing amazing work! I was lucky enough to meet some of them, great guys, great knives.

cutromano
06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Dear friend Steve,
My impression of Blade Show was very good. I found some friends and I made new friends, I am happy for that.
I only found difficulties in finding mammute ivory and stag and big pieces.
Their knives were very beautiful as always and again I had the opportunities of seeing them with my hands.
Best regards,
Romano
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/cutromano/bsr.jpg

rhrocker
06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Steve, thanks for the input. The things you mentioned seemed to be the cosmetic aspects of the knife, but what about other variables, like the steel used for example: Does there ever seem to be a "favorite" steel at these shows? Would some of the collectors be looking for all the good qualities of W2 for example, or 52100, or 5160? I'm not sure that anyone would purchase a damascus knife entirely for the steels used, but rather for how it was forged out, I might be way off base here. I can just see Kevin Cashen fixing to purchase a nice knife because it has mastadon Ivory on the handles. No, wouldn't happen, he'd grill the maker about heat treat, temper, and all things pertenant to the way the steel used will behave. I can see Kevin saying "I'll take that knife!! Uh, but first, show me that it'll bend 90 degrees 12 times, then I'd like to see the heat treat records"
I'm just wondering how much is about the steel, and if there are trends because of the steels.

Steve
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm not out and about enough to get details like that at a show, pretty tied to my table. You could get ten answers from ten different people, perhaps, depending on whom they spoke to. The SS makers seem to be holding with 154-Cm and even 440-C, the choppers like M4, it appears, almost to a man, however there is a swing, in some respects, toward the S30V and the like, it seems to me. No knowledge on tool steels, and the other things you ask, sorry to say. I'm on the verge of going totally with CPM 154-CM, it's polish is soooo.... beautiful and being like 2X stronger than 154-CM, why not go with it? Sharpens up verrrrrry sharp, too! Lots are liking the CPM D2, also.