View Full Version : Plain Cork Belts?

Steve
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Has anyone ever found a use for plain cork belts, with no abrasive applied at the factory?
I've got some on-hand and have tried buffing compound, etc., in the past, but nothing ever really worked very well for me. If anyone has found a good way to uses them, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Frank Niro
05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey Steve.
I neverfound a way to make them work for me either. Frank

Thad Buchanan
05-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Steve, I tried a plain cork belt years ago with no luck, but then I really didn't understand how to use the cork belts until I watched your video. I was wondering though if there is a difference in performance with the different brands of cork belts. I see trugrit offers both 3M (I think) and Klingspor. The 3M belt is twice the price. Have you tried both? Do you have a preference?

Thanks,
Thad

Steve
05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Maybe if we talk to Dan Johnson of Bader, in Atlanta about plain belts......? He'll know something.

I don['t know whether one cork belt is better than another, or not. I just put them on and break them in and a few years later, when they break, I do it again. I haven't really kept track of how long one lasts over the other. When I broke in last Sat. I stuck a note on the wall with 400X and the date, we'll see how it goes. It's a Klingspore and I can't even read what the 600x belt is, but it's about shot.

michaellovett
11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I know the plain cork belts are supposed to be grit free. But, I got a lot of scratches from them.

Mike

W. Leavitt
11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Mr. Johnson, I've been using your cork belt method for a nice base finish for my hand finishing (I'm a bladesmith and afraid of buffers ;) ) Blew up my cork belt the other day and didn't have a spare. I used a 3m Trizac 400x "Gator" and it performed better than my cork belt. Just a suggestion if someone doesn't have a cork belt handy and wants to try this technique.

Will

Steve
11-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Great, Will. Thank you. I use the Gator 400X prior to the 400X cork and love it.

chris moore
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
where would i watch this video?

cliff fendley
03-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I just thought of something today they might work for, would a plain cork belt work good for applying the brownells polish-o-ray? I was using the 500 grit on a buffing wheel at slow speed for putting a satin finish on some pieces. I've never even had a plain cork belt so I dont know.

Steve
03-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Might work. I am not familiar with that Brownell's product.
I have a belt if you want it. Send me your address: srjatmail.manti.com
I put "at" in place of the @, in my email address, as you might have noticed.

Steve
03-28-2009, 10:30 PM
where would i watch this video?
I have them for sale, if you like.

dbalfa
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Since we are on the subject of cork belts.....
I ordered a P600x Klingspor from Tracy Mickley....and like Tracy said, when I got it, I thought there was a mistake, looks/feels more like a 20 grit hogger than a polishing belt.:eek:

I was hoping for a shortcut to a 600 satin finish. Is this the way to go? How is the best way to proceed from here?

cliff fendley
03-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd like to try that Steve, I'll email you. The polish-o-ray is kind of a paste with abrasive in it. Keep it sealed and in the refrigerator until ready to use and apply it to buffing wheels and let dry. It comes in different grits. Gil Hibben uses it for some things and thats how I first tryed it.

Chris, I highly recommend the video, its a great video and very informative.

cliff fendley
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Steve, I cant get the email to go through, at least I dont think it did. Can you email me at sales@fendleyknives.com

Thanks,

Steve
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Bob used to use that type of stuff, which he called "Greaseless Compound" shaping to some degree, the gut hook. cliff@fendleyknives.com

I got an email from you and will ship the belt this week.

cliff fendley
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Got the belts Steve, I'll give it a try next time I want to satin finish something and give you guys the scoop. Thanks again Steve.