View Full Version : How do you do this grind?

Drac
01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi guys,

Don't know what happen to the thread I posted yesterday in another forum but I'm looking to see if anyone knows how this curved grind is done. I read about it in a Blade or KI arcticle months back but they didn't say how the grind was done.

Here's an example on a Arpad Bojtos' knife:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/classifieds/photos/p1897n1.jpg

I like the curved grindlines and want to try them on a knife of my own but don't even know where to start on it.

Thanks,
Jim

Steve
01-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure, Jim.

I'd guess that he uses a grinder, as usual and then, perhaps, a moto-tool, and/or hand filing/sanding to get that long curve with the groove, perhaps even chisels?

Sorry I'm not of any help.

Drac
01-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Steve,

With all the smooth fancy style you do I was hoping you'd know:bow

It's not the line around the grind but how do you grind the curve on a machine. All my grinds are closer to a right angle than this long curve. There's also an example of this style on the cover of Knives 2005.

Funny thing about these examples is that the maker in question (not the only one who does this style) doesn?t use any power tools from the various bios I've read about him. So not only can I figure out how to grind this type I'm left even more in the dark on how it's done with a file!!!!

Thanks again,
Jim

Steve
01-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Mine are pretty vertical, also. You can get some help by running the belt over the edge of the wheel and working it around the edge to soften it up a bit, allowing a longer curve at the top of the grind, but I'm sure this blade was not done like that. The only answer I have that will be of any help, I'm afraid is for you to email him. Send me a note and I'll try to find his addy.

Arpad is a great guy and will help you out, I'm sure. Joe Hytovick is good friends with him and he may know how it's done. I can run down his number and email address, too, I'm sure.

Or, you can get David Broadwell's video, it looks like he is sculpting the blades as well as the handles, or contact him, he might be able to help"

http://www.knifenetwork.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=gen_bkvid&md=details&id=1581

His site: http://david.broadwell.com

tom mayo
01-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I would imagine that you have to hold the knife at a very vertical angle while grinding that curve at the start of the grind..........and have the belt overhanging quite a bit to get the least amount of bump there as possible, with a flat platen you should be able to get away with that, dont know about a hollow grind........but thats just a guess from looking at it.

Ken Onion ground a big bowie like that once, and explained the whole thing to me, but I have forgotten!!! :eek:

Geno
02-07-2006, 12:50 PM
To get thios grind, pull the blade from under the wheel lengthwise.
The curve is where it starts on the wheel, and just pull straight down being careful not to burn the tip off(at the end of stroke).
You can lay the blade on a thin board as well and draw the board accross at the exact angles too, leaving the side of the blade flat onto the wood.

If you need help, just hollar, you got my #:fencing:
Hope it helps, be blessed.