View Full Version : Strange question

rhrocker
05-12-2005, 12:49 PM
With all of the current interest in the salt tanks, I started thinking about something: What about forging, using the hot salts as the "forge"? Talk about perfect temps! Talk about splattering salt everywhere also I guess. I just wonder if it's been done?

Ed Caffrey
05-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I strightened a couple of blades by heating in the salt tank.....got a whole bunch of little blisters any where there was exposed skin for my efforts! Your right, you would be right on with the temps...if you can figure out a way to get rid of the salt before is splatters all over you.........

On a side note, I did some testing with mosaic blades in the salt tank......I love it! By performing several normalizing cycles, and then hardening at just under the critical temp (but allowing the blade to soak for a given duration) I was able to pass all the ABS tests with a complex mosaic blade......including the 90 degree bend with only a SLIGHT crack on the edge.

I've only scratched the surface of what can be done with the salts, but the results so far have opened my mind to things I did not think were possible. Just something else to get cranked up about!

Don Robinson
05-12-2005, 05:37 PM
With all of the current interest in the salt tanks, I started thinking about something: What about forging, using the hot salts as the "forge"? Talk about perfect temps! Talk about splattering salt everywhere also I guess. I just wonder if it's been done?

That'll work great, Robert. Should greatly reduce the scale.

But,,,,,,, Get somebody else to do it!!! :eek:

rhrocker
05-12-2005, 07:15 PM
That's interesting Ed! You're right Don! I keep wondering about some way to brush the salt off very quickly and hard right before the piece hits the anvil. Oh well, I still think it's neat to be able to consistantly bring the steel back up to the exact same heat each time, then lower, and lower, and so on.

Don Robinson
05-12-2005, 10:19 PM
That idea ought to work using a hydraulic press????

sleepy
05-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Maybe pull it through a double wire brush with fine not to stiff bristles? Dont know if it would work but......

rhrocker
05-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I think it would "scale up" while out of the salts some, then that would contaminate your tank each time it went back in. Maybe could have a SS screen at the bottom of the tank that could be removed and emptied. The only thing I have to experiment with are my Nitre blues, and they won't get near hot enough.

J.Arthur Loose
05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I've straightened blades out of the salts... no burns but lots of rust on the anvil.

I can insert a thermocouple into my upright D.Fogg-style forced air forge and keep the temp wherever I like it for normalizing / forging low temp though. Quite controllable.