View Full Version : Buildin' a Randall knife: Stage #2

The "Captain"
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
O.K.
There is a good exchange of ideas in the first stage of our Randall "hunter"..the blade choice. Let's pursue the second...the "HANDLE MATERIAL". I am not concerned with "handle shaping" at this point, but rather the merits, or lack thereof, of your handle choices. Once again, please limit your choices to "shop-supplied" handle material. Do ya'll know what they are? Sounds like a fairly elementary question, but I get calls and orders all of the time for Randalls to be made with handle material that the shop does "not" provide. I hope that "Grindo" reads this thread in the next couple of days and ammends this list, but I will try to list as many as I can muster from memory. My memory megabytes aren't as high as they used to be. O.K.........here goes:
A) Stacked leather washers
B) Sambar stag
C) Rosewood
D) Walnut
E) Maple
F) Desert ironwood
G) Black micarta
H) Maroon micarta
I) Green micarta (canvas on reduced tang knives/ linen on "slotted" knives)
J) Antique gold micarta
K) 3 piece handle, consisting of leather/ stag/ leather on the following models: Model
#12-9", with a #14 grind: Model #25-5" & 6" Trappers" (only handle option on
these knives) : Model #26-4" "Pathfinder" : Model #27-5 3/4" "Trailblazer"

O.K. : There you have your choices. I may have left something out, but that is all that comes to mind. So...get busy and post your ideas for the material to be used on the handle, only! (This is another hint the that handle "shape" and other options might be part of another "stage"). I would not only like to hear your choice, but "reasons" for it! Best to all, Captain Chris Stanaback

P.S. I'm "on the road again" and will be back in a couple of days. We'll talk then. CCS

BoBlade
05-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Put me down for green Micarta :D

thewap
05-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm down for stag!

Moosehead
05-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm with the Wapper on this one! I would like stag for the handle material, because the natural texture will provide a solid grip. :cool:

(Besides, it's my favourite material for my antlers.) :lol

Moosebreath

Co_Outdoorsman
05-05-2005, 06:43 PM
stag...

da only way to fly...

rhrocker
05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Item "K", all the way!

Rob Kelly
05-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Gotta go with the stag

Seussbrother
05-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Stag for me too and it's ok if it's in the middle on the #25 or #27. I like the look and animalness of it. Feels good too and ages with grace and becomes even prettier. The knobbier the better!

Seussbrother

Moosehead
05-05-2005, 09:16 PM
The knobbier the better!

Yup, Seuss, I knows what ya mean! :lol

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=628

Moose

jclarksnakes
05-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Stag seems right for a hunting knife to me. It is really tough and ages well. If we decide on a 25 or 26 or 27 blade then stag in the 25 style handle is an excellent choice. Very sturdy and pretty too.
Jeff

crimsontide
05-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Model 25 handle with black micarta center (for a model 26)

The "Captain"
05-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Wayne,
Looks like your micarta center is bringing up the rear, right now, but it does bring up a good point. In the sub-culture of Randall knives, there are options that "come out of the woodwork". A model #26, with #25 center, both sizes of model #25's, the model #27 with #25 handle, and the model #12-9", with a #14 grind and a model #25 handle can all be ordered with different "centers".
All of the micartas that are standard handle material, i.e. "not" slotted stuff, are available in the center of the #25 handles. All of the woods are, as well. Ivory and fossil walrus are also available, but you have to supply that. It just seemed like a good time to mention "all" of those options, seeing as how you brought one of them up! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

The "Captain"
05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Everyone,
Great responses, so far. It looks as though we are breeding a bunch of stag freaks! I don't blame ya'. I love it also. The other contender, green canvas micarta, is a good choice. I have 3 of my "user" Randalls made up in green canvas.
The texture of the canvas gives it a better grip and feel when wet, damp, or just plain bloody! Linen and paper micartas are too smooth. Gary Randall made me up a "test" Randall, which I am still sworn to secrecy about it's properties, but I can tell ya' that it came with a green canvas "teardrop" handle. Man!!! Does it work!! More on that one when I have the "all clear". Keep your ideas and opinions coming. It is nice to see folks posting like this, "and" getting along. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

thewap
05-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Tear drop handle sounds interesting.. Question to the Cap. did Randall ever offer a stag handle option for the model 10? I saw a stag 10 before, but I believe it was outsourced for custom handle work. I thought it looked outstanding. :confused:

The "Captain"
05-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Marc,
Althugh I am fairly certain that the shop has put stag ona few of them, stag was never an option for a model #10. Randall "did" install stag slabs on the "Taxidermist's knife", but that is another story. Perhaps I can get a photo of the Taxidermist's knife/ knives sometime and someone can teach me to post it up here. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

thewap
05-07-2005, 10:11 AM
That would be great Cap. Would love to see that. Let me know when you have the photo. Maybe I can help, or post it for you?

Marc

DUH120
05-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Marc here is a picture of a model 10/3 with letter from the shop supposed to be 1 0f 10 :confused:
Thanks
Dick

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/files//546561-model%2010%20stag.jpg

2Shot
05-09-2005, 11:12 AM
I would first vote for stag, for the grip and feel of it, then for the asthetics value I would go with maroon micarda.

Kent

The "Captain"
05-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Looks like "stag first", followed by micartas in various forms and colors. About what I thought. I guess we don't have any "wood freaks" posting on here, yet. That's probably a good thing. It would be difficult to get everyone to agree on which "type" of wood, just to begin with: By the way, the final "votes" will be tallied up by the moderators. I'm from "Florida and don't want anymore "vote-tallyin'" debates headed my way!! Just kiddin'. This series of threads are going to run for a few more days. There are going to be a couple of more "stages" added, so ya'll still have plenty of time to voice you preferance. More later....Best, Captain Chris Stanaback