View Full Version : New guy here

forthaney
03-29-2005, 02:35 PM
I am new here I just ordered a typhoon with basic handles I did not get the skeleton kit since I plan on engraving it. I am also a new engraver. I use a Lindsay graver system (really nice). I engrave as a hobby and do hobo nickels and other ideas that come to me.
I just did a bank note style plate of 1934 series $500 bill with my son's face on it instead of McKinley's.

Anyway this looks like a fun project. could anyone give me some do's and dont's.

I planned on rounding the blade horns ect....

I haven't come up with a design yet. I'll take some digital photos and use Photoshop to do that.

Thats all I can think of writing for now and just wanted to say hello

Thanks,
Paul

balibalistic
03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the forum,
typhoon's are lot's of fun!!theres so many possibilities with them,engraving one should be neat.i've only ever seen one other engraved and it turned out excellent.only tip i have is proper assembly,when you apply loc-tite be carefull not to over tighten the pivot screw's,and let it sit for a good 48hrs.other knives only take 24hrs for the loctite to fully cure but i find typhoon's need those extra few hour's.

good luck,and keep us posted!!

ExamonLyf
04-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Welcome Paul :).., sounds like a fun project....

As Bali mentions, p[lease keep us posted....love to see it later!

forthaney
04-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I posted this at the hand engravers forum and in another topic on this forum.

I forgot to post it here.

I posted the images of my designs at the hand engravers forum because I can't get images posted on my posts in this forum.

There are two themes for my typhoone knife on the following link

http://groups.msn.com/HandEngravers/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1849&LastModified=4675516638075297585

The two themes are

1. dragonflys and fern fronds and fiddleheads
2. zebra pattern.

You have go down a little to get to the zebra design.

Take a look and give your opinion.
Be as honest as you like.

thanks

balibalistic
04-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I personally really like the second design better,if you can pull that one off i think it'll look great!as the other fellow mentioned,is it possible to engrave hardened 316ss and aus 8?

forthaney
04-06-2005, 01:05 AM
About engraving the blade, I have carbolt gravers and I did do a scratch test on the blade ( very light though) It will be a very shallow and narrow furrow if I do decide to do it. Its an experiment in the making.

I like the second design as well. I just start with the first thing that comes to me and I finish to see where it took me. some places better than others. I want to do a celtic design next but I want to start cutting and stop looking at the computer for a while.

Does Knifekits change the knives they offer because I see knives in the gallery that are not listed on the site.

balibalistic
04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
All of the knives in the gallery are finished kit's done by different customizer's,are you talking about the typhoon's?