View Full Version : Petrified wood

wbkcousacom
11-28-2001, 11:25 PM
Anybody have an interest in some petrified wood slabs for knife handles. I'll post some pics on photopoint
TJ

dogman
11-29-2001, 05:05 AM
Link?
Prices?
Working Characteristics?

blckbear
12-03-2001, 09:17 AM
Count me in on this one.... ditto "D"s post.

Mike

unclemike13
12-03-2001, 09:38 AM
Petrified wood is basically stone. It has all the working characteristics of any other agate. It requires lapidary equipment. If you have such equipment, grind wet with a rough stone, sand wet with #220, then #400, and then polish with cerium oxide on leather or felt.
I made a living as a lapidary for 10 years, and have cut and polished "tons" of agates and petrified woods.
By the way, I wouldn't put it on a knife that has any posibility of being dropped on a hard surface - say a rock or a concrete floor. It can be very brittle. It could be used in parts of a handle that are somewhat protected, like inlays, where the stone is bedded in epoxy and protected on all sides by some other less "chipable" material.
On the other hand, if the knife is purly for display, agates and petrified woods come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, and can make a truely unique and beautiful knife.

Michael

lottforgenbladeworkz
12-10-2001, 08:38 PM
me

wbkcousacom
12-12-2001, 11:30 PM
Yeah unckemike is right on. Petrified wood or agate should only be used for show knives.If you plan on droping it don't buy any as it will break.
I'm going to drop the offer as I would like to do one myself so I would have something to show.
Thanks for the interest
TJ