View Full Version : T1 (tungsten based tool steel)

Philip Lee
03-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Greetings from Fiji,

Has anyone on the knife network have any experience with this particular steel. Or does anyone know of a bladesmith that make knives using this steel.

Thanks in advance.]

Philip Lee

mete
03-08-2005, 08:23 AM
T1 - .75 C, 4.0 Cr,1.0 V, 18.0 W, .70 Mo . With 18 % tungsten you will be spending a loooonng time grinding !! It's really not suitable for knives. :rolleyes:

Don Robinson
03-08-2005, 08:46 AM
I'd use some M2 if my furnace could handle the high temp. required. The furnace is limited to 2000 degrees.

M2 would make great knife blades, tough and hard after heat treat, but machines fairly easily.

Ed Caffrey
03-08-2005, 09:07 AM
In my experience with T-1... I wouldn't recommend it for knives. You can work yourself to death with the stuff. As with most steels containing high percentages of specific alloys, the blade usually turns out brittle at the edge, and is very difficult to sharpen.

One of the biggest mistakes I see Knifemakers/Bladesmiths make is trying to get that "hold forever edge" and the customer being very frustrated when they try to sharpen the knife. Too many makers don't pay enough attention to this factor and I believe it costs them customers.

Philip Lee
03-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback,

The T1 steel i am using are from fully harden planer blades, I grind it down with an angle grinder and get rid of the scratches with circular sanding disk, start at 50Grit then up to 120, I guess the grinding tempers the steel a little, seeing that the specs recons that it will temper at 1100F.

I have always worked with O1, 1095 , W2 and L6 . I have always marveled at A2 , D2 ATS 34 and some of the super stainless, not having the resources or means to Heat treat them in Fiji, when I came across T1 I thought here is my big chance to work with some super steel. I have made a basic knife and it slices and slices , although i must remember never to bang it on bones.

I am quite please with it, I have also found one maker that uses T1 quite a bit. The company is call FARID Knives.

My expectations for this T1 knife is for skinning and slicing only.

I will definitely try to get my hands on some M2 planer blades.

Have a great day to everyone.