View Full Version : Heat treating nonmagnetic materials?

cramnhoj
01-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Can anybody tell me about making knives of nonmagnetic materials like 6AL4V and beta titanium and ceramic zirconium? Particularly how does one heat treat those materials?

mete
01-23-2005, 06:02 AM
www.key-to-metals.com has a series of articles about different metals including how to heat treat them.

cramnhoj
01-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Ya, saw that when I searched after posting this question. About ceramic knives, which exactly is the one used, seen some stuff by searching but they mention a lot of different zirconium metals that I don't know which to look into. Thanks.

Jerry Hossom
01-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Most of the ceramic blades in the world are made by Kyocera in Japan. It is a VERY expensive and equipment-intensive casting process and not likely to be done outside of industry. Titanium blades are hardened by heating to red hot, but even then they are much softer than steels (<Rc50).

cramnhoj
01-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Well, it's an Air Marshal in our country that's asking for a knife so they want it nonmagnetic which is why I asked about ceramic and titanium even though they're not exactly the best knife steel. Talonite is way too expensive so it's out of the question. I saw something like ceramic zirconium advertised in a directory by a steel company so I thought it's what (or at least somewhat) is used for ceramic knives, so you're saying it's gonna be expensive, I guess that one's out too.

TexasJack
01-26-2005, 02:55 PM
You can buy non-magnetic knives at any gun show. They're just fiber reinforced resin. Hard enough to stab, but not able to cut better than a letter opener.

Another possibility: flint.

Or a thin sheet of glass sandwiched in a plastic blade.

Just don't mention my name - I don't want to go to Guantanamo for questioning!!

cramnhoj
01-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Already know the plastic options. If you want to make a plastic knife similar to G10 you can buy the G10 for knife handles and stock remove to form a plastic knife (everybody knows this). But if you want something of an odd shape or something, look for fiberglass (usually used for boats). You can search on the net for details on how to make it into a plastic (like G10). It basically involves layering the fiberglass cloth with epoxy/vinyl ester in between each layer (50/50 fiberglass/epoxy) and letting it dry out.