View Full Version : D2 picture

rhrocker
01-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Here's a blade I just took out of the Evenheat oven. I ramped up to 1850, held for 20 minutes, then out and quickly placed between two steel plates. All of this while in SS wrap. After it cooled some, I cut open the packet and was surprised at the colors in the steel. Is this normal for D2, or is it the process of using the plates? The rainbow colored areas would not have had direct pressure from the plates, because of the grind. I've since tempered at 950 for two hours, room temp., then 900 for two hours. My Rockwell tested showed 58 after the first temper, and I haven't tried it since the 2nd temper. Any chance of a hamon at about 600 grit handrubbed?

http://www.fototime.com/9EFCF2F5747A788/standard.jpg

mete
01-22-2005, 05:57 AM
I think that's just oxide colors .You probably got a bit of oxygen in there when handling the quench.

rhrocker
01-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Ok, thanks. First time using SS wrap, didn't use any cardboard inside, but was careful double-folding the edges. This is a LOT less messy BTW) Maybe I comprimised the package when I used tongs to take it from the kiln to the plates. Interesting color pattern none-the-less.

RJ Martin
01-26-2005, 11:05 AM
This is perfectly normal. Remember, there is always some air inside the package-it produces that nice, ultra-thin oxide layer on the blade. That's not decarb, or a hamon. Just pretty colors courtesy of mother nature.

You can "compromise the foil packet" between the oven and the quench plates, but, it will not affect the HT process in any way, because it takes time for the decarb to happen.

Good job on a nice HT!

rhrocker
01-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Hey thanks RJ!

SteveS
01-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Robert,

I've seen that on my S30V blades too. I was a little taken back too and thought I'd done something wrong. Wish I could control it and keep it thru the tempering. Might be kinda cool deal on a finished blade.

Steve

rhrocker
01-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Exactly my thoughts Steve, but you lose the neat colors during the temper, and since RJ said it won't produce a hamon, then it's just something nice to look at for the time being :o) (I'm starting to like D2 though).