View Full Version : Standard Tanto(s)

Dave Larsen
11-30-2004, 05:29 AM
Here is a selection of what I call Standard Tanto. Lame name, I know, and I'm up for better suggestions. My pics are not good so I'll include a professional shot of a knife of the same pattern at the end. If you want better pics of something specific please let me know and I'll do my best. Specs:

Overall Length: 10 3/4"
Blade Length: 5 1/2"
Steel: O1, differentially hardened
Bolsters: 416 SS
Mosaic Pins of my own manufacture

Each knife includes a basketweave tooled leather sheath, "birth certificate", and storage pouch. $250 delivered insured Priority Mail CONUS. Outside continental US will pay actual postage and insurance. I accept PayPal ( dclarsen@mchsi.com ), postal money order or personal check. If I haven't dealt with you before please understand that I'll wait 10 days for your check to clear. Otherwise I ship next day.

No 73 is sold.
No 69 is sold.
No 68 is sold.
No 72 is sold.
No 71 is sold and I'm keeping the last one for myself. ;) All done. Thanks to everyone!

Thanks for looking!

http://homepage.mac.com/dave.larsen/.Public/6StdTantos.jpg

Here's a decent photo of a similar knife:

http://homepage.mac.com/dave.larsen/.Public/48byPointSeven.jpg

Burchtree
11-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Wow! If those are "standard" tantos, I'd love to see the special ones. :101

Dave Larsen
11-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words Michael. :) I have made more elaborate ones, but these are a throwback to my happy 70s roots. Those were the days when knives were knives, and knifemakers were...well about the same as they are now. :D

J. Neilson
12-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Beautiful Dave, I love your tantos. A better name would be "My Tantos"... :D

Dave Larsen
12-08-2004, 07:00 PM
BTTT. Thanks Folks!

Dave Larsen
12-13-2004, 05:12 AM
Sure, I said I'd make a decision this weekend but I waited until the last minute because it was so freakin hard. What's amusing about this is that I've asked for input a few times in the past with no results; it's either feast or famine in the knife pattern naming game!

I want to thank everyone who submitted their well thought out ideas. This was a difficult task but the pain was mitigated somewhat because I knew I could always apply these suggestions to future projects. I've kept a list of all the names you folks sent to me along with your contact info, and should I ever find a good excuse to use one rest assured you'll get one of the knives you named.

In the end it came down to two suggestions:

Arashi, storm - offered by Guy Thomas
Oroshi, mountain wind - from the fertile mind of Hesparus

Both are short, sweet, and sound an awful lot like my samurai armor project character, SBD* General Odoshi. (So far as I can determine "Odoshi" has no meaning whatever.)

Well, henseforth my former Standard Tanto pattern will be designated "Arashi." Guy, your knife will be on its way sometime this week. Thanks very much! To all of you.

* SBD: "Silent But Deadly" :D