View Full Version : New Typhoon Blade?

tonyccw
11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Anyone else getting a little too used to the current Typhoon blade? It's a good user, but the point is a little high to do symmetrical blade styles.

Anyways, was talking to Darrel about coming out with new blade styles for the Typhoon recently, and figure I let the voices speak.

I'd like to see a tanto style blade where there's more material to work with. Or maybe a flatter version of the existing blade where again, you have more material to work with.

Any thoughts? Nows your chance to speak up... ;)

balibalistic
11-16-2004, 06:57 PM
I just read another post along the same lines,i would personally love to see an upswept,or long clip bowie profile.something a little less traditional would be nice,you should also mention to him it would be nice to see a 3.5" kit come out :D

arampapik
11-19-2004, 12:30 AM
I vote for a traditional tanto blade.
And the 3 inch flipper sounds great too. I'de be fun.

aram

Blasto
11-19-2004, 09:16 AM
The coolest profile I've ever seen and is still my favorite, is a recurve tanto weehawk. Dobruski made one and it was the sexiest thing ever attached to two handles. :101

ExamonLyf
11-21-2004, 10:29 PM
The Forums are always a very good continuing lesson for me regarding all sorts of cutlery. 8o

Roaming around and looking at everyone's answers across Forums.., I've been literally shocked how many folks are into Tantos.., which I also admit has never been a big favorite for me personally ~~> Excluding Bob Lum's Hamaguri Grind.., which is incredible!

I really like the traditional Tanto blade myself.., but in it's most classic form, I wouldn't think of it for a "Kit" because there isn't a heck of a lot of modification one can do.

I've been sort of surprised guys didn't get more creative with the first Typhoon blade, simply because I do think there are some cool possibilities, but what I mentioned to Darrel via email.., was coming up with something that would stand on it's own (like the first Typhoom blade).., but having enough steel where one could remove stock to achieve alternative profiles that may be desired.

As Tony mentioned.., tip-positioning does become a factor in this.., so I was thinking about something like a center-tipped Scimitarish blade, standardly shipped with a bunch of belly (as allowed by the handle dimensions).., with a straight spine ~~> leaving recurve, and alternative shaping up to the customer.

balibalistic
11-22-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree with you here pete,i would'nt like to see a tanto unless it was a weehawk tanto like blasto said.as for the typhoon's,im starting to get really interested in them!i have absolutly no experience working with steel,grinding and so on.butim taking a crack at it and having fun!
heres a regular typhoon blade i re-did yesterday,i like it much better so far.

shooby
11-23-2004, 02:08 PM
I really like what you did with the horns there.

Very sexy!

balibalistic
11-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Thank's shooby!!That was just a spare blade i had,i've been playing with my glow-song blade today.

nybble
11-24-2004, 10:49 AM
i'm with you on that - I think an americanized tanto would be nice for customizing. Although, not my favourite profile in general. a traditional tanto'd be really good to. Still a good amount of meat and a more attractive profile, imo.

ExamonLyf
11-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Nice job on that Typhoon Bali..., very cool!

balibalistic
11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks pete!! Im starting to really have fun playing with these.i was hoping to get a couple more before christmas to do up as gifts but the money just wont allow it right now.i'll be glad to see another kit released or blade,lets hope it happen's.

ExamonLyf
11-24-2004, 09:08 PM
i'll be glad to see another kit released or blade,lets hope it happen's.

I'm sure Darrel will come up with something really cool Bali :).., takes a little time.., but it'll happen... :)

ExamonLyf
11-24-2004, 09:11 PM
The coolest profile I've ever seen and is still my favorite, is a recurve tanto weehawk. Dobruski made one and it was the sexiest thing ever attached to two handles. :101

Oh come on Dave..., you must be working late again!!! No way you'd rate that re-curve Dobruski as sexier than "The Best of Bread" album..... 8o

Geeeeeesh.., I'm calling David Gates now.... :(

TangPin
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=arampapik]I vote for a traditional tanto blade.
And the 3 inch flipper sounds great too. I'de be fun.

Me as well! I am also a big fan of the Scimitar

PbRb
02-03-2005, 12:59 AM
balibalistic,
gorgeous blade.

TangPin
03-25-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd like a Traditional Tanto or a Scimitar would be sweet!

balibalistic
03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
This is pretty plain and not really modifiable,but what about a classic utuility?you dont see many around these day's like on the old bm 48!

ExamonLyf
03-25-2005, 07:11 PM
This is pretty plain and not really modifiable,but what about a classic utuility?you dont see many around these day's like on the old bm 48!

That would sure get a big [THUMBS UP] from me Bali....

I doubt we have much company on that....lol..., seems like most would like more exotic profiles.., but nothing like a great utility grind on a Balisong (IMO)....

I suppose Daggers would be my first choice for pure esthetics (except for a few phenomenal "hybrids" that Jody did way back).., but I do think we'd get out voted by the masses simply because there's not a ton you can do with a Utility (as you mentioned re: modifications).., except those that want to grind a trainer blade.

The Trainer already produced by KnifeKits pretty much covers that already, but it has surprized me how many like the Trad-Tanto, and Scimitar profiles enough to want a Kit-Version.

Interesting stuff....

balibalistic
03-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Do you think theres anyone who would do a utility typhoon blade for me?i've sketched out all kinds of different profiles for my typhoon's,but cant seem to do a utility.any suggestion's?

akawelder
08-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd like to see a tanto my self, what ever happend to that new kit that was coming out? I thought it was going to have a modified tanto of some kind. and as for a trainer blade would a rectanguler blank not make the most sense,to make eveyone happy id buy a few and grind them into every profile i like. or am I just on crack :smokin

ExamonLyf
08-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Welcome [aka]... :)

In fact I haven't heard much about what's coming up with Typhoon Kits in the future.., so I'll check with Alex....

balibalistic
08-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Tsunami was released this morning guy's!!!!

ExamonLyf
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Tsunami was released this morning guy's!!!!

Yeh very cool news.., and Alex will also have milled handles as well :).....he got back to me yesterday.....

Good news! :)