View Full Version : How do you make a fire storm pattern?

millironknives
11-15-2004, 09:36 PM
I am finally up and running in my shop and have been making up some billets!!!! Man it seems like a long time since I got to do some forging the shop took a long time to get done. Any way I have been mainly doing some random twist billets of 1084 and 15n20. but I have a billet stack ready to start on that is made up of 1/16 inch 1095 and 1/16 15n20 pieces and it has a starting layer count of 29 layers. more 1095 than 15n20 but in all my books I have yet to see how to make this. I would post some pics but my camera does not take good enough pics to show the pattern I tried to clean it up but no go. I will have to borrow a friends camera. Any help would be great. I really love this forum we needed one just on this subject Damascus!!!!!

striper28
11-16-2004, 09:28 AM
The easiest way is to make firestorm is to make a crushed W's pattern and then twist it!

tonn
11-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Kevin!

Striper is right!
But after twisting You have a few options how to open the pattern:
1. acordian cut
2. split in two(lenghtwise) and weld inside out
3. grind down the sides till desired pattern appears
All these options make a different pattern.

And remember - there is no law about how many layers or edge welds you must do or how tight twist :D

DiamondG Knives
11-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Kevin:
Here is my take on it, may not be the way most folks do it, but it works for me.

Weld your billet up, and when ready to fold, cut and fold from the edge side.

reweld and stretch then fold the same way each time. Same as the first time.

I cut and fold 5-6 times. Then forge down to 1.5 x1.5 inches square, and cut into 1.5 inch lengths, then weld these "tiles" side to side so that the pattern is to the outside, or blade sides.

Once this is all welded togather, I forge to shape.

Hope it goes well for you, if I can help in any way, just shout.

God Bless
Mike

millironknives
11-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Ok Mike! I am not sure if I follow you on the first fold. When you say you cut and fold from the edge side I take it you mean when you flatten out the first series of layers you leave it say 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch and then spit down the center length wise with the layers facing the saw blade cutting it RIGHT? I follow the rest of what you said.

millironknives
11-28-2004, 01:46 AM
The easiest way is to make firestorm is to make a crushed W's pattern and then twist it!
OK striper this may seem dumb but here I go. How do you do your crushed W's pattern I have only made cable and twisted damascus. My thoughts of how this would be done is to weld up a billet of staight laminets to say 75 to 150 layers then to kink the billet back and forth like a series of conected S's then cut of the out side of the S's curves to leave a staight rectangle bar. All that done then forge flat and when you grid out a blade you have W's across the blades. AM I right or totally of base here. Because I was wanting to do some W' pattern billets also. Let me know if that is off base. :confused:

DiamondG Knives
11-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Kevin:
I apologize for my explination methods, some times Im as clear as mud! LOL

I first weld up the billet, doing as many welding heats as needed to assure the billet is firmly welded (at least 3 in my shop) then once the billet is solid, I will cut it ACCROSS the bar from the edge side. Not length wise. I will then rewld and continue to cut and fold in the same direction as the first fold, cutting @ 3/4 of the way thru so I have a hinge to hold both pieces togather.

Feel free to give me a call if you like, 479-576-2790 If Im away on work, my wife April can give you the number where I am, please dont hesitate to call.

God Bless'
Mike

Jeff Pringle
11-28-2004, 04:08 PM
So the key thing here is you weld the cut bar edge face to edge face, instead of flat to flat as when just upping the layer count?
--- W ---
--- W ---
--- W ---

instead of

||| w |||

(welding direction sideways)

Jeff

rhrocker
11-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Keven, look at the very first page of the Damascus forum when it first started earlier this year(click on "the beginning",) and on July 4, 04, I did a little pictorial on making a "W" pattern. Then, to make the fire, some of the guys heat to almost yellow then twist a few times.