View Full Version : Griaffe Bone

Steve
10-21-2004, 02:45 PM
After a few year's of using it, what do you think of giraffe bone for knife handles? Either as makers, collectors or users?

To me, it's super! Perhaps I am best impressed with it's stability, doesn't seem to shrink in the least. Of course, it's pretty pretty, too! Maybe taking the place of ivory, mammoth, stag, to some degree, or am I going to far here?

Anyone had any bad experiences with it? Not me, so far.

Osprey Guy
10-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Steve-

I couldn't agree more.

I started using Giraffe bone a couple of years ago, when I "didn't know any better." I first saw it at the local Chesapeake Knife Show here in Baltimore. Ceil (Nico Bernard's rep) had just set up her table and there were rows and rows of this beautiful handle material. I just couldn't resist and spent quite a bit of money with her that day.

I don't much care for the cheesy, brightly colored variety, but so much of the giraffe bone can be drop-dead gorgeous. And I've seen more than a few pair of giraffe bone scales that looked more like mammoth than mammoth!...And as you already pointed out, unlike mammoth and some of the other "rare" materials, giraffe bone is so much easier to work,...and no shrinkage.

When giraffe bone was first introduced it got off to a bit of a bumpy start, but it now seems to be widely accepted...and I think with good reason...A pleasure to use, and gorgeous results!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby! :smokin

ron p. nott
10-21-2004, 09:45 PM
I like it, I use it, but I am not satified with the end results ..I can not get the hi luster finish that I get out of ivory ..

Steve
10-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Maybe y'all can show us some giraffe bone-handled knife pictures? I'll see if Ricardo will post my Gala Dagger photo form the last Guild show. I can't figure it out!

Ricardo Velarde
10-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Steve. I know I have a few pictures of Giraffe bone handles, but this is the only one I can find.
It is very nice to work with, I have to agree. I sure do not like the pink or blue colors it come in with.
Talk to you soon.
Ricardo Velarde

www.velardeknives.comhttp://www.velardeknives.com/pix/9.jpg

Osprey Guy
10-23-2004, 07:50 PM
I think this was my very best use of giraffe bone:
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/BD/E5/29140157-40f4-020800E4-.jpg

I purpousely sanded the scales so that it created a gradiant going from near white to the deep rust color toward the butt. This made for lots of drama. As you sand downward, the color in giraffe bone is fairly predictable and if sanding is done slowly and carefully, it's relatively easy to control (This started out as a deep burgandy/rust color...As I anticipated from my previous experiences with giraffe bone, as I sanded down it got progressively lighter, and changed to more of a natural-looking rust).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby! :smokin

Steve
10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Great photos guys. Thanks for sharing, what beautiful work. You and the giraffe's did very well, I must say!

ron p. nott
10-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Here is one of many that I have used giraffe bone on. this is a lock back ( is there any other way to make a knife ) as you can see the bolsters and blade are Eggerlings damacus the liners are ti. with a blue color and file worked all around .. ron http://www.fototime.com/1F4DAC86CB3EC6E/standard.jpg